Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1990 caravan (3.3 4speed automatic) that will go into limp mode within an hour of driving. have replaced relays, solenoid, and, i think, the speed sensor. somebody in this forum said something about the ignition switch could be faulty, thereby send bad info to the computer, so now I am going to change that out. oh yea, I also changed out the computer. there has been some signs of a short in my ignition switch area, such as, lights not coming on without having to pull light switch several times,(at times), and tac. gauge not always working right. the key switch will turn without the key being in it, but does not turn on anything when turned. i guess the former owner had broke something in it. i am a carpenter, not an auto mechanic. does anybody have any ideas? and will i need a steering will puller to change the ignition switch? Hope I posted this right.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
I have split this off to anew topic for more visibility.

The only real way to know what is causing the transmission to go into limp mode is to have a dealer or some larger shop with the proper scanner read the error codes from the transmission computer. It will probably cost $75-100 but in the long run that may be cheaper than throwing parts at it. I'd only suspect the ignition switch if you saw other signs of the problem when the issue happens with the transmission. The issue could be anything from electrical, to old deteriorated fluid to a worn out transmission.

I think on 1990 you can change the switch without pulling the wheel.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts