Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the rack and pinion on my 1990 LeBaron sedan. It's a V6 3.0 and 4 speed automatic. The replacement is available either for code SBB (firm steering) or SBA (standard). They say to look on the "body plate" for this information but the only plate I could find with codes (near the radiator) is meaningless to me. Does anyone have any idea which steering package came standard on this model? Or failing that, any idea where the part number is on the stock R&P?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/48873/body_plate.jpg

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
The odds are very good that it has the standard steering. You may need to call a dealer with your VIN to be 100% certain if there's no code on the plate (and you are looking at the correct one).

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I believe the "firm-feel" steering was mainly on the Spirit, as that was the "sporty" (a term used pretty loosely in most cases) AA body. That being said, you may want to upgrade to the firmer steering. My Spirit has the best steering feel and response of any car I've ever driven.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
I think you'll find that even most Spirits have the normal PS rack and only those with some type of performance option got the Firm Feel rack.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. I contacted Chrysler with my VIN and they replied with a "build sheet" which had the codes I needed. Pretty cool, and fast considering the age of the car. It does indeed have standard steering.

For anyone it might help, here is the page I used to contact them. I chose the "I need customer assisstance" link.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
You lucked out. They normally tell everyone that they can only go back 20 years on the build sheet. I know they won't do older than 1988. And if you just bought the car and they have no record of you as the owner (as in service records), they won't send you the build sheet. I bought a 1984 Daytona Turbo Z in 2008 as the 4th owner, and they sent me an email that since they can't verify that I own the car, they won't send me the build sheet. Luckily I have the original, though it's ripped, worn and has rust stains across it from the seat springs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, I did luck out then. I'm the second owner, though I don't know if my name would be associated with any service records. It's worth a try I guess for anyone who needs the info. They replied to me the next morning.

I can use all the luck I can get!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
According to the article on the AA bodies,
"All Spirit models used a “sport handling suspension calibration” with precision-feel power steering and a 14:1 power steering ratio."

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just used the link you provided to get the specs on our '92 Shadow convertible..... a little back and forth since I am not the registered owner but once I gave them all my daughter's info, as well as title info, got a response within 30 minutes. Even got info on a recall they don't show as being fixed.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
B10alia said:
According to the article on the AA bodies,
"All Spirit models used a “sport handling suspension calibration” with precision-feel power steering and a 14:1 power steering ratio."
Here is a copy of the window sticker for my 1991 Spirit. It looks like it says 16:1

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There was a change to the suspension setup in '91. They made a bunch of changes to the front-end geometry and I believe they made changes to the steering system.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
You lucked out. They normally tell everyone that they can only go back 20 years on the build sheet.
I recently found that one Dodge/Chrysler dealer in town wanted nothing to do with me (unless I wanted to give them money for repairs) when I had the 90 LeBaron. Another dealer had a much better service department where the nice lady at the parts counter would look up part numbers for me so I could search them on the net. So, if you've got a couple dealers around, try them all. YMMV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts