Allpar Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,870 Posts
The loose connection for the speedometer issue could be at the cluster, or a bad solder joint at the cluster. it could also be at the sensor on the transmission.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Sounds like a loose connection or a bad solder joint. While my '95 was down for a head gasket, I was driving a relative's spare '91 Spirit. If you had a certain combination of accessories on, all the cluster lights would flash with the blinkers, and the gauges would all go to ridiculous values (zero fuel, dead battery, no oil pressure and a boiling over engine, doing over 120mph at 7000+ revs. The car was sitting at a traffic light.) You had to bang the top of the dash to jiggle everything around enough to get it back to normal, and if you went over a bump just right, it would start happening again. Needless to say, there were some wiring faults and bad connections in that one...
As for ND using off-color pointers, sometimes their pointers weren't even consistent with themselves. My Spirit's original cluster had a speedo that was much lighter than the needle on the huge fuel gauge. When I upgraded to a tach, I got an ND cluster, and the tach is lighter than the speedometer that I swapped in.

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
It's not unusual to have a cracked solder joint (or more than 1) on the back of the cluster circuit board. That could cause the intermittant that you are noticing for the actual speedometer.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts