Allpar Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know if this is the right place to put this thread or not. If it isnt please place it in the correct location.

So I got this radio from the junkyard this year to replace the aftermarket CD player radio that is turning into junk. When I bought the car it didnt have the original radio(wish it did) so I found this one that is close. Now I plan to use this radio, daily, with cassette(s)/adaptor. My question is how many belts does this use or not use? Since they do erode I wish to replace them if need be and would like to inspect it. I'm very familar with 8 track players and their design but cassettes are a bit more invovled. It appears to be in great shape but it has sat for literally a decade in a car in the junkyard. Thanks for the responses.

·
Super Moderator
40,851 Posts
It is probably this radio:

Reactions: DC-93

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,521 Posts
The Rocker radio. I had one in the Shadow. A single SCX (square cross-section) belt in a Shinwa deck.
It automatically switched equalization for metal (CrO2) tapes. We had AM stereo then too (I think that they have all gone to HD and iHeart).
Clean the deck linkage, gears & tape path with a Q-tip soaked with alcohol. Do not oil. If you have a demagnetizer, give the tape path a swipe.
I have the service manual for these (attached). P. 3-17 shows an exploded view of the deck. The parts list precedes it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,285 Posts
They are good radios, I have 3 of them sitting here right now. I had thought about using one, but wanted to use one of my CD changers so had to go to a later one.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. EXACTLY what I needed. I have everything but a tape demagnetizer. I have one for my 8 track player but something tells me it won't fit lol.

The radio is in fantastic shape. I might just not take it apart but I don't want it to eat my cassettes. I had the newer cassette/CD player in my 98 GC but the cassette player didn't work in it but sounds like these older ones are better? Either way I wanted to have the schematic because I got another one from the junkyard at the same time that has all the chrome on the front. I found it sitting in a puddle in a new yorker. The people that remove a perfectly fine radio and sit it in a puddle are just moronic. I got it because I thought about taking the faceplate off and putting it on the current one. Might be more trouble than it's worth though. Pictures:
Rectangle Wall Gas Font Typesetting

Wood Bumper Rectangle Gas Automotive exterior

Musical instrument Guitar accessory Sleeve Wood Denim

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
I'd at least take the rusty part off and check the internals. They MIGHT be okay. Hook it up and see if any of it works first.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd at least take the rusty part off and check the internals. They MIGHT be okay. Hook it up and see if any of it works first.
I could always hook it up quick to see if it works like you're saying. First I have to rewire the harness since the previous owner put the aftermarket radio in it.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,521 Posts
The salvage yard might let you snip out radio connectors from a donor.
If not, I have ordered pigtails & adapters from Metra.
Pull the covers & give it a bench test.
Font Rectangle Triangle Parallel Office supplies

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The salvage yard might let you snip out radio connectors from a donor.
If not, I have ordered pigtails & adapters from Metra.
Pull the covers & give it a bench test.
View attachment 90576
Thanks for the link. Fortunately I saved the radio connectors for the radio. I have a couple of them. I believe my car actually has 6 speakers though.

·
Super Moderator
40,851 Posts
Thanks for the link. Fortunately I saved the radio connectors for the radio. I have a couple of them. I believe my car actually has 6 speakers though.
No matter how many speakers, the radio only has four speaker outputs, LF, RF, LR, RR. Depending on the system, the radio feeds to either a central amp or each speaker has an amp. I think 1990 was individual amps and 1991 and up was single amp in the trunk. Chrysler liked to call the premium setup a 10 speaker system. With either system, the 4 output channels are routed to the various locations. It was really 6 speakers, but they counted the speakers with separate components as 2 speakers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts