Allpar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 318 out of a 91 it has the fuel pump in the tank. The one in my truck now has it on the passenger side of the engine. How do I set that up if I even can?

·
Super Moderator
39,071 Posts
Are you converting the 1991 engine to regular ignition and a carb? That is by far the easiest way to do this.

If so, you need to install either a traditional mechanical fuel pump on the 1991 engine or a low pressure electric fuel pump in line. The old in tank pump won’t be used.

You may need a pre-TBI 318 timing fuel pump eccentric to install the mechanical pump. Is there a block off plate where the mechanical pump would mount? If not, switch out (I think it’s in the timing cover) so you have the mount provision.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Premium Member
20,292 Posts
Hard to understand what you are trying to do. Are you swapping the whole engine or just trying to change the fuel delivery system?

The other option is to swap everything from one truck to the other. Being they are of the same generation, tank, fuel lines, that part of the wiring harness to run the fuel pump, and the whole engine bay stuff is a direct bolt-in, no modifications needed.

The fuel pump in the tank of the '91 runs something like 7-14psi, a carb and fuel pump setup runs on around 4.5-6psi.

Hope this helps answer your question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m swapping the engines and the 91 has the block off plate on it so is all I would have to do with the fuel pump is to take it off the 86 and install it on the 91

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,491 Posts
I’m swapping the engines and the 91 has the block off plate on it so is all I would have to do with the fuel pump is to take it off the 86 and install it on the 91
May need the cam plate to be added to work the pump arm.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I believe you're correct, I recall a MA article where it said the LA kept the eccentric, and the Magnum has no provision for one (different cam and timing cover).

Pretty straight-forward swap. Use your intake, distributor and carb. The '91 has hydraulic rollers, but I would think the timing requirements should be fairly close. Along those lines, this wouldn't be a bad time to check the timing chain.

A swap to TBI system would probably be more of a PIA than a full swap to a '92 or '93 Magnum set-up.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
If you're going to swap the intake, that would be the time to check the camshaft and see if it has the eccentric for the fuel pump. If so, you're good to go!

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
If you're going to swap the intake, that would be the time to check the camshaft and see if it has the eccentric for the fuel pump. If so, you're good to go!
He can easily determine that by removing the block-off plate. If the engine is unmodified, there will be an eccentric bolted to the cam snout.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts