Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Dodge Dynesty 4 Door, that while Drivingthe moter will shut off and after a few mins it will start up again, I did the Key dance and all it showed was a code 55 ? could this be the Fule Pump? also the drivers side front window will go dow but then wont go up again unless you turn the car off and startt it again then it will go up. I am confused..... Help

·
Registered
16 Posts
Code 55 is the end of the self test. Not a worry. The fuel pressure can be checked simply by installing a gauge in the high pressure line. 45 PSI +/- 3 PSI.(V6) 2.5 I 4 is 14 to 16 PSI, You will need a T fitting to install the gauge in the pressure line, run the vehicle until it stalls and check the pressure. Also, see if there is spark when pressure is lost. The ASD circuit will not allow fuel if there is no fire. No fire will require further diag. Given the year of this unit, wiring corrosion at the pump or the relay may be an issue. The pump could be suspect as well. Be sure to check for spark before installing a pump..

The power windows are not controlled by the body computer in these vehicles, so it is a standard power window. Most likely not related to the stall issue. The window can be tested a few ways, best is to remove the door panel, re install the switch, probe the 2 wire at the motor to see if power and ground are present. In the up position, power should be on the LT Blue wire and ground on the White wire, down, power will be on the White, ground on the Lt Blue as you are reversing polarity with the switch. The wiring diagram can be found on Google..

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
You don't mention the engine.
It could be fuel (and if it's the 3.3 there is already a test port).
Could also be the Hall Effect Pickup in the distributor(2.5 engine), the optical distributor (3.0 engine) or the crank position sensor (3.3 engine).
Next time it dies and won't start, check to see if you are getting spark. Or try a little starter fluid in the throttle body. if it starts and runs till the fluid burns off, it is fuel related. If not, then check the ignition or the ASD relay.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
First off, welcome to Allpar! If the car just "switches off", it's probably an ignition-related issue. The Hall Effect pickup in the 2.5's could get flaky and fail when hot, allowing the vehicle to be started after it cools down.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
And the crank sensor in the 3.3 can behave the same way - often leaving no code 11 behind (which you'd expect on that failure).

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Bottom line is that you need to provide a little more information before getting more specific ideas to try.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts