Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I have a 91 Imperial with a 3.3 engine. Recently I have noticed that it will shut down while driving. It will restart back up and continue to run. I have excellent fuel preasure (40-44) measured on the rail. I have a scan tool and have checked the car for codes. The only thing I have found is that in the sensor category I get the following message "FAULT1 KEY ON 255". Fault two and three are zero. I also have a 1993 Imperial and it reads Fault1 key on 0, Fault2 key on 8 and Fault3 key On 50. Can someone please educate me on just what the "Fault" areas are?

Thank You in advance!

Bill Messick

1991 Chrysler Imperial
1993 Chrysler Imperial

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts

·
Super Moderator
36,948 Posts
It's not uncommon the for the crank sensor to fail in the 3.3/3.8 engines and leave no code behind.
I'm not sure what those codes mean either, my scan tool doesn't read error codes out like that.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
Check codes the way that bob said and report back. What colors are your imperials? If you have a white 91 and a gold 93 like me, we were seperated at birth. :lol:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vehicle is not displaying a "diagnostic code" so to speak. The information is comming up on my scan tool under the sensor test section. I am suspect of the cam\crank sensor as well. I was hoping someone had experience with the Fault information in the ECM.

As for my Imperial's...the 91 is white with red clith interior the 93 is an orchid color with brown leather. My dad and I purchased them to gether in 93 and we have maintained them since. My Dad passed recently and I now keep his car as well.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
mikris said:
The vehicle is not displaying a "diagnostic code" so to speak. The information is comming up on my scan tool under the sensor test section.
But, did you perform the 'key dance' check that I recommended? It should at a minimum display a code 55 (end of message).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. I did perform that test. 55 was the only code

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
There are a few possible causes. The crank sensor can do it, as mentioned. Sometimes, connector issues at the ECM can do it too, as I found out with my 1991 Fifth Avenue parts car.

If the car only stalls when you take your foot off the gas, clean the throttle body thoroughly, especially where the AIS motor is. The area tends to accumulate carbon buildup and cause the motor pintle to stick. My Imperial had that problem when I got it, but only when it was cold out. It would run fine most of the time, but as soon as I came off the highway and released the gas pedal it would instantly quit.

There's nothing like having to clean a throttle body at -25 Celsius, let me tell you.

Reactions: johnb300m

·
Registered
628 Posts
Sounds like the AIS motor to me, probably carboned up, but even if you replaced it, it doesn't cost much, and from what I have seen it never throws a code or check engine light either. I ran into this with my Dynasty, then My Imperial, never my Newyorker(must have been my lucky car). It's really hard to find issues with a 3.3 engine from these cars. My money is on that, either try using TB cleaner on it open the throttle body spray a bit use a rag wipe it out real good, you shouldn't need much, don't use carb cleaner though. all else fails replace the AIS its not expensive trust me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All, I have a 91 Imperial with a 3.3 engine. Recently I have noticed that it will shut down while driving. It will restart back up and continue to run. I have excellent fuel preasure (40-44) measured on the rail. I have a scan tool and have checked the car for codes. The only thing I have found is that in the sensor category I get the following message "FAULT1 KEY ON 255". Fault two and three are zero. I also have a 1993 Imperial and it reads Fault1 key on 0, Fault2 key on 8 and Fault3 key On 50. Can someone please educate me on just what the "Fault" areas are?

Thank You in advance!

Bill Messick

1991 Chrysler Imperial
1993 Chrysler Imperial
I know this is late but ... I believe FAULT1 is the reset counter, which tracks the number of times the car has been started since the battery was disconnected or a fault code was set. It tops out at 255. The function is described in the Powertrain Diagnostic manual. I don't know what FAULT2 or FAULT3 are.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts