Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
another thing on the old new yorker

ran some errands today and the last one went to go and it won't turn over.

When turning the key the dash and accessories kind dim down like usual but will not turn over.

Key switch seems a bit loose between run and start.

What should I look for to test the ignition switch or starter relay/solenoid and where is the starter relay on these things? or is there something else to look for?

Old girl has been pretty trouble free since i've had it (4.5 years and 63,000 miles) but lately its been going down hill fast.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Ignition key cylinder actuator breakage was fairly common on these. It was like a pot-metal piece at the end that rotated the switch. When it broke, the switch wouldn't reach all the way to the 'start' position.
Separate the column shroud halves by removing the lower half screws. Depress the retaining tab and pull out the cylinder. The broken end and piece should be apparent if that is what happened.
0900c15280216345.gif
images
You may be able to start the car by reaching into the switch with a screwdriver and turning it all the way to start manually (like the way car thieves do). This will confirm that the switch and the rest of the starter circuit is good.
Otherwise, the problem may be electrical and a diagram, helper (for key turning duty) and test light is the next step.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the steering column covers off but which sets of screws do I start with to take it apart?

I see several odd screws that look like Torx with a pin in the centers.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Those are called 'security torx' screws, and there are bits available in stores to unscrew them.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
got it.
got the security torx on the way home. Took column apart. got the key unit out and a chunk fell out of the switch housing.

Will have the wife pick one up tomorrow.

with the unit dangling buy the wires 1/2 upside down it did start. must have wedged the chunk in the right spot.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts