Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Plymouth Acclaim with 60,600 miles on it. I am the original owner, It was purchased in 1992 with 12,000 miles on it. It was what they called a program car. I have this car for all these years with no problems . Currently both the front drivers side & passenger side electric windows are acting up. The contact switches were cleaned about six months ago & that seemed to take care of the problems. Now, for the past two weeks both are acting up again. Either window will go down, but, I have trouble getting both of them back up, with the drivers side being the worst of the two. There is a whirring sound when the switch is pressed & I have to hold the switch down & use my other hand to push the window back up.

Is it time to replace the motors in both doors, or is it something else that is causing this problem?

Thanks for any and all help or suggestion on this matter. :rolleyes:

Kaecee

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I do not think the Acclaim / Spirit twins used a plastc flex rack like the one shown in the link to Imperial Crown's response. A 1989 Acclaim / Spirit service manual (should be identical to 1991 and later) shows a scissors lift mechanism for each door window. The scissors lift mechanism is driven by a worm drive gear reduction from an electric motor. I would bet that the worm drive shaft from the electric motor is steel but the mating gear is plastic. Age and use have probably stripped / worn the plastic gear drive such that it will not properly mesh with the screw / worm drive on the electric motor armature shaft. You will need to replace the motor assembly.

A salvage yard would probably be the least expensive route to get a replacement motor. However I would retrieve a power window lift motor from a rear door as that typically would not be used as much and would be in better condition and last longer. At O'Reilly auto replacement window motor drive assemblies are priced in the range of $50 - $85. See this link.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/A1C0/42402/01200.oap?year=1991&make=Plymouth&model=Acclaim&vi=1228171&ck=Search_power+window+motor_1228171_219&keyword=power+window+motor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt replies, Imperial Crown & Allan. Will be checking locally & online for the window motor assemblies.

I like the idea of using the rear door assemblies. But, having seen what entails getting the door panels off & how little room there is inside the door to reach the assembly, I think I'll just get new /rebuilt ones & save my friend from more frustration. LOL

Kaecee

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
kaecee1234 said:
I like the idea of using the rear door assemblies. But, having seen what entails getting the door panels off & how little room there is inside the door to reach the assembly, I think I'll just get new /rebuilt ones & save my friend from more frustration. LOL

Kaecee
I would expect to find the assembly riveted to structural inner door members. So some patient drilling will certainly be in order.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts