Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, me and my dad have been trying to get his old truck running for me to take over once i get my license. It was a automatic swapped to a 5 speed manual. quite simple it wont turn over by turning the ignition key. If the solenoid is jumped it will start right up. the old started had trouble though so we replaced it. We’ve replaced the battery, and the ignition and still no luck. were thinking maybe a blown fuse or something in the wires. I am curtious if y’all might have some insight into what it might b. We are getting a volt meter soon and are gonna just follow the wires to the starter till we see something.

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
If she starts with jumping the starter solenoid, look at wiring associated with the neutral lockout that would have been in the original harness. It should be replaced with a manual neutral lockout on the clutch pedal arm for safety.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If she starts with jumping the starter solenoid, look at wiring associated with the neutral lockout that would have been in the original harness. It should be replaced with a manual neutral lockout on the clutch pedal arm for safety.
We Checked that and replaced it and still no start
maybe following the wiring from the ignition to the started and seeing where the voltage stops. That is what I’m doing next hopefully I find a proble.

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
Well, you can ground it out by taking the brown wire on the relay and grounding it to the body. I have run a wire from the brown wire on the starter relay (you are jumping) and grounding it to the body (I used the brake line itself). If this works for you, it neutralizes the ground wire the brown wire that grounds out the starter through the safety lockout.

Reactions: MillennialMopar

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,674 Posts
Is this a regular electronic ignition without the computer? The maunal transmission vehicle just tie the Neutral Saftey switch wire to ground. No clutch pedal switch is shown. I think that the pedal safety switch came later.

Schematic Font Rectangle Slope Parallel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you can ground it out by taking the brown wire on the relay and grounding it to the body. I have run a wire from the brown wire on the starter relay (you are jumping) and grounding it to the body (I used the brake line itself). If this works for you, it neutralizes the ground wire the brown wire that grounds out the starter through the safety lockout.
Ill run the idea by my dad when i see him, he wants to take a volt meter and follow the wires from the ignition to the starter and see if something Comes up. If that is a doesnt work ill see what he says.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ll see what my pops thinks. He wants to use a volt meter and follow the ignition wires to the start or to the clutch safety switch then starter and see if there’s a short or something preventing electricity going from point a to point b. We have swapped out the starter switch as well

·
Premium Member
20,347 Posts
Is this a regular electronic ignition without the computer? The maunal transmission vehicle just tie the Neutral Saftey switch wire to ground. No clutch pedal switch is shown. I think that the pedal safety switch came later.

View attachment 85704
Son-in-law's 82 Dodge pickup four speed manual has the clutch depress safety switch on it, switch is on the clutch pedal itself. As you said, ground the (looks like dark green wire in the diagram) wire to the body and it simply bypasses the neutral lockout switch. I said brown wire, which was the color for earlier models. My bad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Not sure if it's the same on a 92. But on my 88 Ramcharger and a Friends similar vintage D150, water dripping from the hood on to the wiring on the inner fender on the driver side caused a lot of corrosion in the harness to the starter relay mounted there. Ended up having to replace several wires and the connector. Both showed as intermittent then no start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts