Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know where to go or ask ,..i need help my 1992 dodge shadow started missing on 3 and 4 ...but Still ran ,RAN rough,now white smoke goes every where AND WON'T START NOW.....what other engine can i replace the old 2.2 non turbo with ....is the bellhousing the same as gm 2.5 and could i use one of those ?.....i need advise and help its my only car .PLEASE.HELP ASAP

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sounds as though it's a blown head gasket. That's cheaper to fix (and less hassle) than replacing the whole motor.
No, the bellhousing from a GM 2.5 won't fit, and even if it would, why would you want to put such a thing in a Dodge?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Welcome to Allpar!
Not sure if the GM motor would even fit under the hood. Displacement doesn't have anything to do with dimensions. For example, the 2.5 used in the K car shared displacement with a Mitsubishi-sourced V6. Totally different engines, totally different eras, and I doubt that the 2.5 V6 was ever offered with the 31TH/A413.
I agree on the head gasket. That was a common failure point of earlier 2.2's and 2.5's. I think there was a running change made to a better head gasket, but I don't know when this was. It's a weekend project that you can do with basic tools. The only concern really is whether or not the head warped. The whole project, assuming you don't need a new head and assuming you do the timing belt at the same time (they tend to break right around 90-120k, and are fairly easy to replace as part of head work) should cost under $200. Even with a head, I doubt it would go much over $600.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts