Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I recently picked up a 1992 Dodge Shadow with the 2.2L to fix up and sell.

When I got it the left turn signal worked fine, but the right side stays solid and the hazards didn't work. I pulled the hazard relay and reinserted it. Now, the hazards work and the indicators come on however the right turn signal still doesn't flash with or without the hazards. I changed the side marker bulbs on both rear sides and swapped main bulbs in case that was the problem, but alas nothing. Intermittently the right signal will start working but most of the time no dice. Fuses are also all good. I should also note that when the hazards are off and you activate the right side, both front and rear come on and stay on solid including the indicator. However when the hazards are on, the front right side flashes but the right rear does nothing at all, not even solid.

Any ideas of what to test to nail this? This is pretty much the last issue I need to fix to have it safety inspected for the road.

Regards,
Cody

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Bad ground on the right side, either front or rear. Probably a socket or its wiring. Those wedge base bulbs have brass clips for holders in the socket, and they are susceptible to cracking from even slight ammonia exposure over time (glass cleaner). I had a backup light socket where the clip on one side crumbled away when I pulled the bulb. That could be intermittent.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Bad grounds were a common problem on the AP bodies light tail/brake lights. That will make the flasher not flash in many cases. A quick way to check for this problem is to take a piece of stranded hookup wire (#12 - several inches long), strip about 3/4" off each end, spread the strands flat, wedge the strands in the bulb base socket along with the bulb so that the strands only contact the side of the bulb and the side of the socket, and then connect the other end of the wire to a stud in the trunk. Usually the light housing stud provides a good body ground. Just wrap the strands around the stud clockwise and put a nut over the stud to hold it (or crimp on a tongue or loop lug). Over the years, I've fixed a few Sundance/Shadows with a non-flashing turn signal that way.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The individual socket terminals used to be replaceable and spliced in. The brass rear socket ground terminals seemed to be the worst offenders on these. A replacement tail lamp socket assembly would be the fix now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts