Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I got a 1992 dodge power ram 150. She ain't doin to well. Every time the engine gets hot, it will completely shut off, wether moving or idle. Lights and electrical stay one, but motor don't. I did a tune up, the guys at my mechanic replaced a crank shaft positioning sensor, and it ran fine for a few weeks but now it's got the same problem. Today they scanned it again and found no codes, nothing wrong. I did replace the ECM, and it turned my "maintaines required" light on for a while but now it's off, and they don't think that's the problem. I do however have a problem with mice nesting on the intake manifold on top of the engine, I have fixed the mice problem but I'm not sure if they chewed anything up. Please any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Well, since there aren't any codes, first thing is to check the wiring harnesses to make sure there isn't a problem there. Next thing is to pinpoint where the signal to the ignition is cutting out. It could be wiring, but it could be the coil, or even fuel related instead of electrical. Have to drive her until she stops, then start doing the hot checks to figure out where the problem is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dana44 said:
Well, since there aren't any codes, first thing is to check the wiring harnesses to make sure there isn't a problem there. Next thing is to pinpoint where the signal to the ignition is cutting out. It could be wiring, but it could be the coil, or even fuel related instead of electrical. Have to drive her until she stops, then start doing the hot checks to figure out where the problem is.
Sounds good. I got a new ingtion coil in her already tho, and they tested the fule pressure and said everything was fine with that and the fule pump. Ill keep ya posted. Much thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Have they told you if you are loosing fuel or spark when the problem happens?
Next time it won't start I'd check for spark at one of the plugs. If there is spark, see if a little fuel or starter fluid in the throttle body will make is run temporarily. The heat related problems makes me still think of the crank sensor or maybe the hall effect that syncs the injectors inside the distributor. Another possibility could be the ASD relay. I had the one in my 1993 Dakota fail, only seemed to affect the truck when hot. I swapped it with the AC relay and the truck ran fine. Then I put a new relay in and put the AC one back.

I'm not sure how the ASD relay is labeled on your D150, but once you find it there should be other identical relays you can swap with it underhood.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ran her today, really wierd, It didn't do the problem, only a little bit when I park, Imma check those relays tommor, once again thanks to all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today she stalled out. Apon starting it in the middle if the road, I was tapping the gas petal, at wich I was getting smoke out the tail pipe and out of under my hood. When she started it sound like it was running terrible, and very loud. I don't know what it could be

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
How many miles does she have on her? Being a 92, she should be a TBI engine, but may have been converted. If mice were in there, lots of stuff that needs to be checked, vacuum hoses, electrical sensors and electrical wires. Since it sounds like she is starting after dying in the road with some work, I am starting to suspect fuel related problems, as in a float that is sinking when warm or showing more problems when warm, or throttle body leaking an injector, the black smoke is too much fuel trying to burn and it can't.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
1992 is the first year for MPFI if it's a 3.9 or a 5.2. If it's a 5.9 then it's still TBI. I don't think the engine size has been mentioned.

When it restarted, was it backfiring? Was that part of the bad sound? If so, that could mean spark or fuel isn't synchronized with compression timing.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Which could mean the timing chain is extra slacked or the crank position sensor is going out, heat making the sensor act up more.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If its not synchronized with compression timing, how could I check that? And fix that? And what could have caused that?

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
If it's a 318 or a 3.9 with the MPFI, there is a hall effect inside the distributor that sets the injector timing. The spark timing is controlled by the crank sensor so timing is not adjustable. If there is slop in the distributor, slop in the timing chain, someone's cranked the distributor to try to adjust timing, etc. you can have the synchronization issues. Most of this does not apply if it's a 360.

But I think there should be more troubleshooting. When it dies, I haven't heard you say if you are losing spark or not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OldBetsy459 said:
I have a 318 5.2. How should I go about checking to see if I have spark?
I'm pretty sure I'm gettin spark cause I will start an run for like 20-30 mins. But once hot, anything goes.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Pull a sparkplug wire and see if you get spark to a sparkplug. If not, pull the coil wire out of the distributor cap and see if you get spark at the coil. Guess we can go from there.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'm gettin spark cause I will start an run for like 20-30 mins. But once hot, anything goes.
Once it quits, you could loose spark. I'd have a spare spark plug handy. When it quits, pull a plug wire and hook it to the spare spark plug and place that plug against something like the exhaust manifold and look for spark as it cranks. It is just as likely it looses spark when hot as it is loosing fuel or fuel sync.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
overheating coil? just a thought...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got a video of the truck cutting off, the whole deal, imma post it on YouTube soon then ill put the link on my next post. Thank you guys for all your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts