Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's been 2 months and the '92 Ramcharger runs like a champ. 4x2 318 automatic. Needs ball joints (yeah, we'll address that come the paycheck) and the radio's amazingly flaky. Recent
work-related rentals of a 2012 T&C have influenced a possibly not-stock-resto there, maybe ... thinking about going for an HD radio & maybe a backup camera / gps unit to replace the stock
radio. First, though, I want to figure out what I need to do to make the "maintenance required" light go out. The local oil change place doesn't have a tool for anything older than 1997.

So what scanner or computer reset tool do I need to be looking for?

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
I want to figure out what I need to do to make the "maintenance required" light go out. The local oil change place doesn't have a tool for anything older than 1997. So what scanner or computer reset tool do I need to be looking for?
Starting with 1989 model trucks and minivans, the only way to reset this maintenance required lamp is to use an OBD I scan tool that has this particular Chrysler only feature. Since this is a Chrysler only feature most scan tools don't have capability to turn off this lamp. Some of the OBD I AutoXray and Actron scan tools have this feature. OBD I was last used with 1995 vehicles. OBD II started in 1996.

This lamp does NOT indicate any diagnostic problem with the engine management system. It is simply a reminder to check the oxygen sensor and EGR valve for proper operation. The lamp will illuminate at approximately 60000, 82500, and 120000 miles. The system does not record actual odometer miles but computes miles based on engine run time. It is fairly accurate and will turn on within about 500 miles of the odometer milestones mentioned above.

Chrysler must have appeased some EPA regulator by including this "mickey mouse" type lamp on the instrument panel. You can just remove the bulb or try and find someone with a OBD I scan tool in your area. I highly doubt that any auto repair facility would have the proper scan tool. Since the truck is 20 years old I doubt that a dealership service department would have the older scan tools but you could ask. A dealership service department probably would want big bucks to turn off the lamp.

You could check around your area for Mopar clubs and just ask if a real enthusiast who enjoys and does maintenance of Chrysler made vehicles, old and new, might have the proper OBD I scan tool with this feature. Somebody might be willing to do a freebie exercise.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
The dealer tool would be the DRB II (or equivalent). This emission check was started in California and spread for awhile before the EPA was convinced that PCM self-diagnostics would catch a real problem. All car manufacturers had to comply.
If a technician pulled the bulb, that could be considered emissions tampering. If the vehicle owner pulled the bulb, that probably wouldn't be prosecuted as such. I have seen people 'black out' the indicator with a magic marker.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
This emission check was started in California and spread for awhile before the EPA was convinced that PCM self-diagnostics would catch a real problem. All car manufacturers had to comply.
It is strange that only the truck based vehicles, pickups and minivans, had this lamp. Same engine in a car did not have it. A friend had a 1989 Plymouth Voyager with 2.5 L 4 cylinder and the instrument panel had this maintenance required lamp. I had a 1989 Acclaim with 2.5 L 4 cylinder engine but there was no maintenance required lamp on the instrument panel. Trucks have different emission requirements that automobiles???

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Trucks did have different emission certification than cars. Less strict and they were able to use carburetors long after cars went to EFI.
I remember Maintainence Required lights in 1976 (catalyst equipped) on the Colts, Arrows and some domestic California cars/trucks. A mileage counter/reset switch was on the back of the instrument cluster board or inline with the speedometer cable. Later ones required a dealer scan tool to reset the indicator.
It seemed that once the PCM self-diagnostics and 'power loss/check engine' lights proved themselves to the EPA to be reliable, the threat of emission tampering/removal and the dealer emission check was no longer needed.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,675 Posts
I recall my Dad's 1975 Plymouth Fury had this "Maintenance Required" light. Scared the crap out of him when it came on when we were headed to Mrytle Beach, SC (from NY) one summer. Coincidently, he bought the Fury while on vacation - a pickup truck rearended our '72 Charger when we were in downtown Rapid City, SD causing $300 damage (a considerable sum in those days) - ended up trading it in for the Fury. I still miss the Charger.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all.

Hmm. Not only is it an OBD I, it's a *Chrysler-specific* reset? Ok... do these ever show up on Ebay?

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
Hmm. Not only is it an OBD I, it's a *Chrysler-specific* reset? Ok... do these ever show up on Ebay?
Here is a link to an Autoxray scanner.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c62574d61

In 2004 I bought a refurbished Autoxray 5000 scanner at a discounted price. It was compatible with OBD I and OBD II vehicles (pre 1996 and 1996 and later). It had the OBD II cable and GM, Ford, and Chrysler cables for OBD I vehicles. It had the specific Chrysler maintenance required reset feature which is DIFFERENT from the reset check engine lamp. Because of the low price I thought something awry and when I asked the tool was not upwardly compatible with the new CAN controller protocol mandated for all 2008 and later vehicles. This tool would interface with OBD II before 2008. I still bought it. The tool has worked well on both OBD I and OBD II vehicles. I have reset the maintenance required lamp on my 1991 Dakota.

Now look at this link for the EZ 5000 scan tool on Ebay. It is slightly different from the older model I purchased. It appears to have the OBD I & OBD II cables and is updateable and fully compliant with the OBD II CAN controller protocol used by manufacturers since 2008. At least that is the claim. If you could verify this tool has the Chrysler maintenance required lamp reset feature, this might be a good purchase??? All precautions of buying used merchandise on Ebay should be followed.

I would suggest that you contact tech support at Autoxray and ask how you can verify a tool has the specific features you want. Tech support should be able to tell by the version number of the software which features such as maintenance reset, OBD II compliant, CAN controller protocol compliant, backwards compatibility, etc. Once you have the specific version number of the software tool features, contact the Ebay seller and ask for the version number of the software on the tool.

You can get an Autoxray tool to display software version number:
1. Press Power on key.
2. Press Config key.
3. Scroll down by using down arrow.
4. Highlight System Info item.
5. Press Enter

Software version number displayed. This tool may have it all.

I am in the next state north of you but still too far probably to get together and provide assistance. Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, AllanC!

Have sent a question to the seller to see if this is the tool required. :innocent:

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
and he never answered ... sigh. But now there's an OBDII for my SO's Android devices for

1 - 10 of 10 Posts