Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past 2 years it has been sitting in the driveway. I started it maybe around 6 times just to move it. I recently got insurance so I started driving it.

Initially it wouldn't start because the battery was dead, so I jumped it. I filled it up with gas (only put ten dollars in). The next day it was turning off on stop signs instead of idling. It was out of gas when that started, so I filled it up completely, and the problem went away.

The next day I left the lights on for 4 hours, so I had to jump it again. I drove it a good 45 minutes on the highway before work. Initially it turned off at a stoplight again instead of idling. But after I hit the road it worked great. The 45 minutes made it feel great.

That night after work, It refused to start. I tried jumping it with two different cars and it didn't work. It turns over fine. But won't start. Next day we strap towed it home.

So currently the car won't start. It turns over just fine. I tested one sparkplug wire and it was getting spark. When I turn the key I don't hear the fuel pump. I checked by putting my ear to the gas tank while someone turned it on. I figure it might be that, but I'm not sure that would cause it to turn off on idle. Any help would be extremely greatly appreciated. Doing it myself and with the help of you guys is my only option for price reasons.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Will it fire up briefly if you give it a shot of car/throttle body cleaner into the air horn? This stuff is flammable, so use care when trying this (a backfire could do a fireball thing).
Running low on fuel has probably damaged the fuel pump and it will need replacement. Sitting unused for 2 years with fuel in the tank may have formed varnish and other nasties inside the tank. Some of the crud may have been pumped forward into the fuel filter. Some might have made it into the injector screen.
Besides a new fuel pump and fuel filter, you may want to do an extensive cleaning inside the fuel tank, clear the lines and injector/regulator of old fuel. If your tank is metal and the straps and lines are rusty, you might need to replace these if they start leaking. A new tank may be better than trying to clean the inside of the old one if you can't reach everything or it looks really bad.
Don't reuse any old fuel, dispose of it properly and refill with fresh fuel only.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Amen. The worst thing you can do with a Mopar is let it sit with gas / oil in it ... the varnish damages fuel and oil pumps.

·
Super Moderator
31,978 Posts
That would be true of any brand car.

·
Super Moderator
36,907 Posts
Yep, the little Cavalier from the estate next door sat under the carport for three years. One of the neighbors pulled the fuel pump out and cleaned it up and she ran fine.
I've had fewer issues with varnish from cars sitting in injected cars than carb cars but it can get you on either one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts