Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager, 3.3L, 4-speed automatic transaxle just stopped working while going up a hill. I was going about 25mph around some curves and began going uphill when the transmission just stopped working, i.e. transferring power from the engine to the tires. I stopped the van and shifted through the gears and the transmission just acted like it was in neutral. I turned off the key, let it set for awhile, restarted the van put it in drive and the van moved as normal until it shifted to second and again it acted as though it's in neutral. So The transmission works in first gear but in second or reverse it acts as though it's in neutral. I can hear the buzz-pop of the shift solenoids going into drive and reverse. I turned the key on/off/on/off/on and got 1, 2, 5, 5 blinks from the check engine light. I have removed the battery cable and nothing changed. Please Help.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
If you don't have at least 2nd and reverse gears, it's not an electrical or sensor problem. Instead it is some type of internal hydraulic issue. Low fluid or a clogged filter would likely be the only simply fixed issues. You'd need an advanced scanner capable of accessing the transmission computer to know what codes are stored there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thing has a funky sensor port non typical ODB so my scanner will not fir and I dont have the adapter, . Thanks for the reply Mark. any other ideas?

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
This vehicle is OBDI and you need a special Chrysler specific cable and a fairly expensive scanner to access the transmission codes.
You may consider dropping the pan and seeing how the fluid looks and what (if anything) as far a debris is found in the pan.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have a 92' Plymouth Grand Voyager LE with the 3.3 L v6 and the 4 speed. This also happened to me. Shifting into 2nd gear it free reved. Starting from a traffic light it had nothing in 1st gear. Trans was acting like it had no or low trans fluid. Fluid level was fine.

Turns out that the filter clogged up. Did a filter and fluid change and all is well again.

The diagnostic connector for the transmission is located under the drivers side of the dashboard. The OBD 1 connector under the hood is for the engine controller and you will not be able access the codes for the trans through it. Also you can not get the trans codes through the flashing power loss light, this is only for engine codes.

This trans filter is not like the Torque Flite trans, where the entire bottom of the filter is open. The filter for the A604/ 41TE trans has a slot at one end of the bottom of the filter because the filter is mounted on an angle.

Oh and my Voyager has 298,000 miles on it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts