Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone...newbie Eric here in SoCal. Just bought a 1993 Plymouth Acclaim with 85K. 2.5L 4cyl. 3 Speed Auto. Clean car and engine runs great but has transmission related problem. The seller was honest about the problem and sold me the car for only $500. Maybe you guys can help me figure it out or educate me enough so I don't get overcharged at a garage.

Transmission was slow to engage in gear and had trouble going into 3rd. I drove it home from the sellers home...about 8 miles. Then added some Lucas Transmission fix and headed for Walmart. Drove about 1.5 miles and car lost all power even though the engine was still running. It made no noises, clunks, bangs or booms just lost power so I drifted to the side of the road, put the hazard lights on and called AAA to tow her back to my place. I start her every day but no gear will engage except that I can feel it try to when put into reverse.

Any ideas? Thank you!
P.S. I once owned a used 1972 Plymouth Valiant Scamp with a slant 6 and she lasted me 12 years with minimal repairs...just regular maintenance. Hope to get some life out of this little Acclaim.

Best Regards,

Eric

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Time for rebuild. Those are easy and cheap, but R&R will run you some money.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. Any idea what a transmission rebuild should cost me?

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Drop the pan for a debris inspection. If the filter is plugged up, it may not engage any gear. By having trouble going into 3rd, do you mean that it shifts late into 3rd?
If massive amounts of clutch material has been shed, it may be too late.
It is possible that the previous owner tried a fluid and filter change and gave up. But then again, maybe not.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, it would shift into 3rd late and then go back to 2nd. I appreciate you guys out there. Any advice is welcome!

Eric

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, it would shift into 3rd late and then go back to 2nd. I appreciate you guys out there. Any advice is welcome!

Eric
As KOG posted it's time for a rebuild or swap in a used A413 (which is what you have). The failing 2-3 shift is a sign the clutch packs are worn out. I had a '92 Acclaim 2.5L 3 speed that did the same thing at 191K miles. Ended having a shop R&R a used A413 from a '86 GTS for $500. It was still working 110K miles later. You should be able to find a good working A413 for $300-$400 and plan on $250 labor to install. The A413's are pretty much bullet proof but they can wear out.

Good luck!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! These Acclaims seem like a solid little car. Thanks for the tranny identification (A413) and detailed reply. I appreciate everybody's input!

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be nice to get lucky and have it just need a fluid/filter change. If I do buy a working used transmission, should it come with a torque converter? Does the T converter need to be changed when another tranny is installed? Thank you all! This seems like a great forum!

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
It would be nice to get lucky and have it just need a fluid/filter change.
I wish I had been that lucky. When mine started having problems with the 2-3 shift, I changed out the fluid and filter. It worked fine for two days and then began to hang in 2nd and would not shift to 3rd.

I can't remember if the shop used the TC from the old transmission or used the TC from the "new" transmission. My memory is a little fuzzy on that. I think they used they old TC. At the time I was just happy to have it back on the road.

For comparison, an Mopar or Jasper reman was about $2500 installed. This was about 10-12 years ago. I junked the car in 2004 after the heater core blew in 2003.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Replace the converter. Clutch in it is a wearing part as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts