Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,444 Posts
Thank you for your kind reply. Yes, it would shift into 3rd late and then go back to 2nd. I appreciate you guys out there. Any advice is welcome!

Eric
As KOG posted it's time for a rebuild or swap in a used A413 (which is what you have). The failing 2-3 shift is a sign the clutch packs are worn out. I had a '92 Acclaim 2.5L 3 speed that did the same thing at 191K miles. Ended having a shop R&R a used A413 from a '86 GTS for $500. It was still working 110K miles later. You should be able to find a good working A413 for $300-$400 and plan on $250 labor to install. The A413's are pretty much bullet proof but they can wear out.

Good luck!

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,444 Posts
It would be nice to get lucky and have it just need a fluid/filter change.
I wish I had been that lucky. When mine started having problems with the 2-3 shift, I changed out the fluid and filter. It worked fine for two days and then began to hang in 2nd and would not shift to 3rd.

I can't remember if the shop used the TC from the old transmission or used the TC from the "new" transmission. My memory is a little fuzzy on that. I think they used they old TC. At the time I was just happy to have it back on the road.

For comparison, an Mopar or Jasper reman was about $2500 installed. This was about 10-12 years ago. I junked the car in 2004 after the heater core blew in 2003.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts