Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 1993 Sundance 2.2L with 3-speed automatic transmission that is starting to give me problems. I bought the car 4 years ago with 26K miles on it. It has been a great car, but I have had some issues lately (luckily I can work on my own vehicles). I about 6 months ago with about 70K on the car, I started losing power and determined by loss of coolant it was the head gasket. I removed the head and this proved to be correct. I had the head machined and replace the head gasket. Foolishly I did not replace the timing belt. About 4 weeks ago the timing belt lost about 4 inches worth of teeth on me and left me calling AAA. I replaced the timing belt, and drove for about a week, then one morning when I started it up, the oil light came on and would not go off. I drove one of my other vehicles to work (you always have other vehicles when your newest is a 1997 Astro van and you work on your own vehicles). When I got home after work, I removed the sensor and started the engine. No oil came out the sensor hole. I dropped the oil pan (great fun) and replaced the oil pump. When I started the engine oil literally gushed out of the hole and the valve train was noticeably quieter. However, since then the transmission seemed balky at shifting to 3rd gear. I replaced the transmission fluid and filter, and it seemed to help for a couple of days and today it did not seem to shift to 3rd at all. Unless the motor blows up I cannot think of anything else I would need to do to it, and don't know if there is anything that is DIY on this transmission issue. I would put another transmission in it if that is required, but wonder if there is any other opinions on this or what the problem could be?

Thanks

Crankavich

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the prompt replies and the link to an excellent article. I have a shop manual and will check out the linkages tonight. The latest development is not good. I picked up my car from the airport parking lot yesterday afternoon and when I started it up and put it in gear it would not move. I tried to determine if the linkage was moving, but could not be sure if it was because I could not shift and look at it the same time. After a minute or two of trying, the car went into reverse when I shifted it there and then into 1st when I move the shifter. It seemed kind of sluggish as if it were slipping. I pulled out and the car would once again not go into 3rd. I got on the parkway and drove at 50mph for a couple of miles and then all of the sudden the car jumped between 2nd and 3rd for about 5 seconds and then stayed in 3rd. I drove about 12 miles at 60mph, and got off an exit. After going down a long hill the car would not go into 3rd again. I drove about 5 miles and stopped for a light. Seemed like 2nd started slipping. By the time I got home, it seemed like it was in 1st gear. Luckily it was 25 mph speed limit area. I will look into the linages after work, but I am putting a concrete floor in the garage starting this weekend (finally can use a creeper) so I may not be able to tear into the transmission for a bit. I will update you on the situation. I have visited this site for years as I have had numerous plymouth and dodge minivans, a Breeze, and still have a 1990 Lebaron Convertible in very nice shape ( I replaced the top myself, very interesting process). This is the first time I could not easily find information I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.