Allpar Forums banner
161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Even though I bought the extra wheel/tire combo I went ahead with my idea for the axle cart because this will take up less space in my crowded garage and will make it easier to get the axle under the van when the time comes. The casters are spaced to support the axle tubes just inboard of the spring pads and will let me "roll" the axle on the cart to drain and fill and change the cover gasket.
Free weight bar Automotive tire Wood Sports equipment Rolling

Pic below shows how it will look in use. Ignore the upside-down-ness and pretend the trailer is not there. I already had to shorten the base board to clear the brake drums. I'll need to jack the thing up in the garage and put jackstands under the brake drums so I can remove the cart to get the other axle out of the van so I can put this axle back on the cart to take to the van..
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Plant

Finally found the BOM on the long axle tube.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Finally unloaded the axle today with a Harbor Freight chain hoist.
Wood Asphalt Motor vehicle Building Road surface

Axle cart works...
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Asphalt Motor vehicle

...and the rig is now in the garage for some tending before the install.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Rolling Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood

I'd like to keep my momentum on this but a spell of nice weather might mean switching to leaf blowing instead. Maybe Santa will finish this for me.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
The van is nearly ready for the axle swap. I have four more jackstands to help support this beast and need two or three dry days above freezing temps to do the work.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Up on six jackstands and ready for about three warmish days to get the swap done.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Now you're making me feel bad. I'm not trying to drag this out. I'd like to be done and driving this thing.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Now you're making me feel bad. I'm not trying to drag this out. I'd like to be done and driving this thing.
Joking, it gets done when it gets done. Working in warmer weather has its advantages, nuts and bolts mover freer, less " stings " when you bang your hands or fingers.

Are you planning on replacing the U - bolts, or re-using the old ones ? Figure the old ones will come loose ?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Dear old George didn't have to grow the boat himself. Give the man a break.
That's the problem with the internet, it never crossed my mind that would have been taken for anything other than a joke. The man is doing a fantastic job with the van and the thread the last thing would want to do is ruin that. I completely apologize if that was taken any other way.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
6,895 Posts
That's the problem with the internet, it never crossed my mind that would have been taken for anything other than a joke. The man is doing a fantastic job with the van and the thread the last thing would want to do is ruin that. I completely apologize if that was taken any other way.
My reply was also meant to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
It was taken lightly, don't worry.

I'm thinking new U-bolts, even though I expect the old ones to come out.. I think the manual recommends that and they're fairly cheap. Also did new head bolts on the engine last year because of the manual's recommendation. I also have some front end parts to buy on that order.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Hit a snag as I prepare to remove the bad axle and install the junkyard replacement. Seems that there's what appears to be an even bigger Dana 60 full floater than expected. Every one I've seen has the eight lugs and the protruding axle like this one, the one I recently bought. All the others looked like this or had the flat hub of the semi-floating axle.
Wheel Light Automotive tire Locking hubs Tread

So this is what I see after removing the wheels for the axle swap. I have not seen an axle configuration like this in all the research I've done for this swap. It looks like the axle must be removed before the brake drum can be removed. It'll complicate things. The original also has bigger lug bolts, 9/16" instead of 1/2".
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Wood

Lug holes on a van wheel look too big for the replacement axle's lugs. Tapered lug nuts might not grip as securely as necessary.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire White Light

If the original axle really is that special, it will be worth reconsidering my decision not to rebuild it. I can still have that done and run this expected replacement in the meantime. I'll also be dropping the tank for inspection and sender repair, and to give me a little more room under there.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
Decided to put the van up for sale in order to concentrate on loads of other projects. Asking $3500 and includes everything I've accumulated for the project.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
I've accepted a deposit for the van. The fellow is supposed to pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can't imagine them designing the rear axle so it would have to be removed in order for the brake drum to be removed, could just be slightly rusted onto the axle and looks like it is one piece, but I could be wrong.

Could be possible that the replacement rear axle is a different year with different sized lugs and rims, or maybe the replacement rear axle calls for different sized lugs and rims altogether, but I have no idea.

Sorry to see you sell it.

161 - 180 of 186 Posts