Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some jerk attempted to steal Son's caravan Wed Nite - Cops say they steal Van then load van up with Stolen Motorcycles - They busted entire lock assy off with Sledge - All I have left is Black Plastic Hole with aluminum disc with spring sticking out the middle of it at bottom of hole - I can move disc to Acc & Ign but not to Start Which is probably good or the thing would be GONE~! - There is some Electrical stuff intact below hole with Copper looking Coil in it maybe ?? - Did a few Searches of Ignition Lock & KEY this Forum but no helpful joy... Need some direction on rebuilding Ignition Lock area of Column - THANX.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Sorry to hear that. A factory service manual may help with pictures to identify the components.
If the ign cyl housing has been damaged, see if you can find a good used steering column assembly for the vehicle. These little parts usually aren't serviced separately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx & yeah I am past due for Manual... & hopefully I can go to Column school at the Junkyard - It's Tilt Wheel & Switches in steering Wheel so I'd HATE to change whole Column~! - There are Turbo Supra's in the Parking Lot at this Apartment Complex (pretty nice Apartments too BTW) & they try & steal the 1994 Caravan.... WHUTevr...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
You should be able to remove the column upper and lower shells which usually require a torx head screw driver. Then you can inspect the area for damage. Unplug the wiring connectors and use security torx bits to remove the lock cylinder and ignition switch as an assembly. The security torx bits can usually be purchased at any auto parts store. You can buy a new key cylinder and, if needed, a new ignition switch. If there is no damage to the column, this could be an easy job.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you're in a pinch and a long as the everything comes on normally in the key on position. You could use a test light connected to positive battery and jump it to the thick ignition wire under the steering column to get it to crank.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
It's really not that hard to swap an entire column. You may find you are time and money ahead to do that if it's too messed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts