Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again for more punishment! lol

Kidding, now then.

Aside from dealing with a few electrical bugaboos that I've isolated to a bad battery, when I got my convertible started up I immediately noticed a 'grinding/rattling' sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XH_pDlRPBA

You can hear it clearly immediately after I rev the engine at :21 and :24. I'm usually really good at pinpointing these noises with my ear, but all I know is it's coming from the serpentine belt/passenger's side of the engine block.

Don't ask me what the rhythmic ticking noise is, I'm kind of scared to find out about that one....just want to point out the ticking is NOT the noise I'm referring to in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJO1uPRh_nU

In this second video, the rattling/grinding sound gets really loud from 34 to 48 seconds in.

Any ideas? I can't tell if it's coming from a pulley or something else. Just that it's coming from somewhere on the serpentine belt side of the motor.

========================================================

Unrelated note: Yes, I see the steam coming from the radiator. Just started today, I'm just going to replace it.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
That little black canister next to the motor mount. Has something to do with the AC. You may be able to move it around enough to duplicate the rattle. I had the same noise on my 95 voyager. Nothing to worry about. My opinion based on the video.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Could potentially be a bearing on one of the accessories, maybe the alternator?
I wouldn't be too worried about that steam you show. A lot of times you can get condensation on the radiator that boils off as the car warms up, giving you a little bit of steam. The ticking definitely seems to be related to the belt, internal engine noises would be much quicker. If you had something like a bad lifter or interference in the valvetrain, if the car's idling at 900rpm, a noise caused by the valve would happen 450 times a minute. Crankshaft noises would be 900 times a minute-- you get the idea. I wouldn't be concerned about any imminent failure-- the water pump is not driven from this belt, just the alternator and the power steering pump. If worst comes to worst and one of those bearings fails, you lose steering assist or alternator current. Inconvenient and annoying, but nothing that will destroy the engine. If I were you, I would investigate the alternator more.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Sounds like an alternator bearing to me, but keep in mind, I'm not a mechanic.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
For $ 3-$4 you can buy a mechanics stethoscope at Harbor freight. I have found those to be very useful.

There are a number of possiblities in that area including the tensioner pulley bearing, the idler pully bearing, the AC idler pully (if equippped) and (Lord forbid) the timing belt tensioner pulley bearing. As mentioned the alternator is a possibility and even the AC compressor hub bearing.

I'd get the stethoscope and listen to those items you can get access to. Be careful not to let it get caught up in the belt.

Also, it is safe to run the engine a few minutes without the belts on (except timing, of course). That may help narrow down the possibilities.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Try it with the belt(s) removed, that will point out if it is external or internal. The water pump is driven by the timing belt (internal,) so you can run it without fear for a while. The ticking sounds like the infamous 3.0 valve lash adjuster tick. Run 5w-30 oil, maybe it will go away. My old van only liked Castrol synblend oil for some reason or another. The ticking is more an annoyance than anything else. The lash adjusters can be replaced if you want.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The black rubber covered device by the motor mount is the evap purge solenoid. It can cyclically click under certain conditions. Just unplug the electrical connector to see if it stops the clicking noise.

As far as the other noise, it does sound like the belt tensioner pulley bearing. You could temporarily slip off the serpentine belt and see if that stops the noise. While the belt is off ( if the engine's cool ) you can reach down and spin the tensioner pulley and see if it rotates smoothly or feels loose or rough. Ditto for the A/C belt and it's adjustment pulley

I suspect that whatever the noise is that it's coming from something external on the engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts