Allpar Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Could potentially be a bearing on one of the accessories, maybe the alternator?
I wouldn't be too worried about that steam you show. A lot of times you can get condensation on the radiator that boils off as the car warms up, giving you a little bit of steam. The ticking definitely seems to be related to the belt, internal engine noises would be much quicker. If you had something like a bad lifter or interference in the valvetrain, if the car's idling at 900rpm, a noise caused by the valve would happen 450 times a minute. Crankshaft noises would be 900 times a minute-- you get the idea. I wouldn't be concerned about any imminent failure-- the water pump is not driven from this belt, just the alternator and the power steering pump. If worst comes to worst and one of those bearings fails, you lose steering assist or alternator current. Inconvenient and annoying, but nothing that will destroy the engine. If I were you, I would investigate the alternator more.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.