Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 dodge dakota 4 X4 V6 and have a fault code 42. I have been told that you can cycle the ignition in a sequence to reset the auto shut down code is this true and if not has anyone had this problem and what was the fix?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
This post may be moved from here to the Dakota section.
Basically the ASD relay circuit is fused battery power in and power out. The rest of the relay wiring (control portion) is between the relay and the PCM. So it's either the fuse, the relay itself, the wiring between it and the PCM or the PCM itself.
An underhood wiring diagram for wire colors and where they go and a test light should be the only tools needed to find this.
If the PCM doesn't see a Crank Position Sensor (CKP) signal after a couple of seconds of cranking, it will turn off the ASD power out. This would make for a no-start or start/stall condition.
The only way that I know of resetting the codes without a scan tool is a battery disconnect/reconnect.

·
Super Moderator
36,929 Posts
A quick test to check the ASD relay is to swap it with another that is non-critical for engine operation. For example, swap the ASD relay with the AC relay and see if it runs. I think if you look at the power center labels under the hood, it isn't labels ASD or auto shut down. I can't recall how Chrysler labeled it.

My 1993 Dakota stalled one day and I just let it set. The next day I went back, found the ASD code and swapped relays and drove it home without AC since that's the relay I swapped. If the relay swap fixes the problem, the code will eventually clear itself. Otherwise, either a battery disconnect or a scan tool is needed to remove the code as noted above.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts