Allpar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
I agree and sometimes the battery ground cable on the battery post connector (if it is the crimped type) can go intermittant. Sometimes it will make up (connect) with a heavy current draw but have a high restance under light load. with the lights on dim, feel for any heat on the clamp or just make a temporary jumper from a good known ground to the batterry negative post. You might be able to touch the top of the battery post with the lights on and observe for an increase in brightness. Another clue would be any white residue around the crimped connection. Also a voltmeter test between the engine block and the battery negative terminal should show zero with a good ground cable.

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
SBMN39 said:
John, Bob, I understand what you're saying and am going to check ALL these things, but I did want to throw in there...what about the engine shutting off as if the ignition power was cut to the coil? It only did it two or three times, but it tells me that whatever is causing the current shortage involves everything, and the engine coil itself is involved in the lack of current, and were it the battery, it would seem logical that the car would continue to run with just the alternator wouldn't it? (assuming the alternator is working correctly). EVERYTHING is involved in this odd power drain/cutoff.

I need to get the factory manual for this car, been meaning to do it for months, just been investing a lot of money in repairs. :p

Sun rises early today, out into the 20 degree weather I go shortly to do some electrical checks (I should be grateful I at least have a covered garage).
If you have a bad ground wire (i.e. intermittantly becoming high resistance) even the alternator can't run the vehicle. The computer must have a return to ground and receive roughly 12 volts. If the ASD relay drops open for a moment, the engine shuts down.

·
Registered
11,099 Posts
You might want to buy an aerosal can of contact cleaner and spray all those connectors. Disconnect, spray, disconnect, spray, (a few times) to sweep the contacts clean of any foreign matter or corrosion.

Reactions: Doug D
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.