Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 95 Caravan with the Mitsu 3.0. For the last week or so, I've noticed a very strong fuel smell. I only drive this car back and forth to work, about three miles one way. The odor is very strong by thr time I reach work. There is no power loss. I've noticed a serious drop in fuel economy. The odor is strongest under the hood. I can't see any issue (fuel leak) under thr hood. This problem started abruptly.

Any ideas??

Thanks, ahead of time!

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Sure sounds like a leak somewhere to me. Perhaps a defective fuel pressure regulator? I don't know, I'm just guessing. I'm not a mechanic.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
A leak will leave wetness behind for a brief time. A stain may be left after it evaporates.
The fuel line is pressurized from the tank going forward.
A cracked or disconnected rubber evaporative emission hose will make a fuel odor with no wetness, but won't really affect fuel economy.
If you only smell the fuel odor after driving, it is likely a pressurized line/hose, fitting or seal.
If you pull the vacuum hose off of the rail-mounted fuel pressure regulator and fuel comes out, the regulator has failed.
It is important to find this before driving the vehicle any further as it is a fire hazard.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I'll check that out tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Check from the tank forward, everywhere. I just found the source of a faint fuel smell after driving - the rigid line by the RR wheelwell in my Daytona has dissolved undercoating. If it weren't undercoated, I might not have located it easily, as it doesn't yet drip on the ground. But I parked the car until I can fix it.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found the leak. Had a rusted through clamp on the hose just after the fuel filter. New clamp, all fixed. Glad it was such a cheap easy fix, as I'm in the process of buying a new Challenger and will be selling off the 95 Caravan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts