Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 1996 New Yorker that is gettin 0 volts to the coil. I have already replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors still no power. The car stopped suddenly going down the insterstate. This is our only car and I'm a paralegic really can't afford the shop. Any help is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Which engine? Any fault codes?
http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html
The ASD relay will shut off power (+) to the coil pack and injectors after a moment if it does not detect engine revolutions. Is there spark while cranking? Is there fuel pressure at the rails?
The cam and crank sensors have nothing to do with (+) power getting to the coil or injectors. They just signal the PCM to fire the ground side of the coils and injectors. There should be 12 volts (+) at the coil and injectors when the key is first turned on for a moment, during cranking and after the engine is running. Have a helper work the key while you check for voltage.
More info: http://www.allpar.com/fix/stall.html
You may want a service manual if you need to trace wires.
The relay itself is rarely the problem, but you can swap it out with another similar relay in the underhood PDC (fuse/relay box).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no spark while cranking. There is fuel pressure. Yea like I said in my ealier post no voltage to the coil. Switched out the fuse thing that said ASD relay on it with similiar one. still same thing. Could this be the computer brain of the car. The engine is: 3.8 L V6

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
The 3.5 V-6 has dual coil packs, doesn't it? With three ignition wires each? Which coil pack has no power? And which wire are you measuring? Is a helper measuring the coil voltage while you crank? If you let go of the key, the ASD relay cuts off coil voltage 2 seconds later.

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
The PCM (computer) grounds the ASD relay to complete the coil/injector/O2 heater (12v +) supply.
It won't turn on the relay or let it remain on if it suspects a problem that requires that the relay be off.
If you jump (not really recommended) the ASD relay contact terminals for a test, do you then have spark out of the coil?
Is the 8 volt reference voltage (OR wire) reaching the cam and crank sensor with the key on?
Is the 5 volt reference (Vt/Wt wire) reaching the TPS, MAP and A/C pressure sensors with the key on?

0900c1528006ae40.gif

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
That is the Gn/Or stripe wire?
Trace it back to the ASD relay to find out where the power stops.
The Rd/Wt wire before the relay supplies the relay contacts and should be powered on all the time. The Rd/Wt wire also supplies the PCM with power.
You may feel the relay 'click' under your finger when someone rolls the key on. This should complete the coil, injector and O2 heater 12v (+) circuit.
See the diagram here:

http://repairguide.autozone.com/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images/0900c152/80/06/ae/40/large/0900c1528006ae40.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts