Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1996 Voyager keeps stalling out when driving, but will restart after about 3-60 seconds.

I have been advised to check the Idle Air Control (IAC) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (EGR). I have looked at the diagrams in the Haynes manual, but I am having trouble locating them under the hood.

Can anyone help? It is a 3.0 engine.

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. I would put the Haynes away. The information is usually just general and emissions and electrical information can be just plain wrong or misleading.
You may have a vacuum diagram label under the hood to show hose routing.
EGR is here (if equipped): 80003e65.gif
The 4-wire IAC is here: 0900c1528003c4c0.gif
You may not see anything. You can unplug the vacuum hose to the EGR solenoid and plug it for a test.
Any rough running before the stall, or does it just 'shut off'?
Any fault codes?

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it's stalling with throttle applied, the IAC valve is out of the picture. If it's stalling with your foot off the gas then keep it on the list. It opens an orific behind the throttle plate to allow air to bypass the closed throttle plate to maintain idle RPM. When you depress the throttle the throttle plate opens negating the IAC function.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Throttle blade and bore cleaning is important once in a while also. The carbon build up will restrict airflow past the blade.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts