Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased used 1996 T&C LXi 3.8L van with 250k+ miles....have been very happy/lucky after having used it to drive 2,800 miles cross country to move; with one major exception:

1a) Stalls soon after starting...no error codes readable as dash is digital (analog guages for tach, etc. are appear dead). The couple past incidences have been solved by just letting it set for an hour or two and then everything works fine....just missed a job interview this morning and doesn't seem to be 'self correcting' today.

1b) Another behavior, while driving, might be related and help to troubleshoot. A couple times while driving, around town and on highway, the guages and odometer has gone dead while the vehicle kept driving fine. This condition also reset itself both times within

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Bad solder joints in the instrument console. You aren't the only one. I see several posts here from time to time on this issue. The console can be removed and the solder joints can be re-soldered.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, I'll check into that. I understand how bad solder joints would impact the gauges, etc., but are you suggesting this possible problem would also be leading to the stall soon after starting?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Thanks John, I'll check into that. I understand how bad solder joints would impact the gauges, etc., but are you suggesting this possible problem would also be leading to the stall soon after starting?
It is my understanding that bad solder joints in the dash can cause it to not start. Some here have reported that banging on the dash with the heel of your hand while cranking will allow the vehicle to start in some cases where there have been bad solder joints.

Another cause of a shutdown shortly after starting up can be related to a security system malfunction. I'm not sure that would be applicable on a 1996 vehicle, but worth considering if you have a security system.

Of course, there could be another problem, but the two items I mentioned seem to come up frequently. With 250,000 miles on your vehicle, I presume that the fuel pump has been replaced at least 1 time. If not, it may be starting to become intermittant since it is run from a DC PM motor with carbon brushes that eventually wear down.

Reactions: NssJ

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Some here have reported that banging on the dash with the heel of your hand while cranking will allow the vehicle to start in some cases
Always a good therapeutic procedure on any make/model of car of any vintage.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
The failure of the instrument cluster can mess with the data communication bus. The engine shuts down just as it would if the factory security system had been triggered, cutting the engine off after a couple of seconds of running.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Other 'no bus' symptoms can be the PRND3L selector display all in lit boxes, the ACM (airbag) and TCM 'loss of communication' fault codes and like you have: dead gauges and no cranking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts