Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got up this morn, car turns over but wont start. it runs ex, havent had one problem at all before i parked it night before. only 106k, no issues, only drive it a hundred or two miles a week. now, the gas cap wasnt on all the way. i know i tighten it everytime i put gas in my car. i feel like someone couldve put something in my tank. but could you put something in a gas tank to make a car not start right away? wouldnt it at least start for a min or so?? but if im just paranoid, what else could make a perfectly fine running car not start the next morning? i was very near empty and ive since put a gallon in it but that didnt work. checked fuses, seem fine. i dont get it. where do i start? what do i do first thru last? thanks for any expertise guys, and girls. thanx, thanx, thanks. (btw, its fuel injection, 2.5 ltr, v6)

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
If it was just about empty, one gallon isn't enough to get the fuel pump pickup submerged enough. You need to add 2-3 gallons. So try another couple of gallons first. And check fault codes:

http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html

Reactions: marcpilot1

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
first, THANKS for all help so far. im getting somewhere finally. fuel pump comes on when key is turned. it seems like it stays on though for longer than i thought it was supposed to. but i hear it come on im pretty sure. so, that eliminates that. i assume fuel pump is good. now, i pulled the 3 plugs that could get to right there in front. the wires are dry, shiny and silver. but the plugs have oil around the threads. all 3 of them. should i take out other 3? maybe replace those? and i was curious if i should buy a new rotor or whatever it is? i cant remember because im typing so fast and worried and confused. THANKS SO MUCH for help. im going to fix this. (i hope) lastly, if i have spark, then what could possibly be next. oh yea, the dipstick has no oil on it except a tiny dot at bottom of stick. but i dont think i ran it without oil. i think its just extremely low. sorry for such long post, just want to reveal everything to hopefully cut to the prob. Again, THANKS a lot!

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I agree with Bob. I'd try at least five gallons of gas. You need to stop letting it get that low. You'll burn out the fuel pump. It needs to be covered in gas to keep it cool.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Just because the fuel pump energizes, does not mean it's working properly. Wait til the engine is cold, then turn the key to ON (not start) to prime the fuel rail, then turn it off and press the Schrader valve in on the fuel rail (while having goggles on and keeping a rag for protection. If you don't get a good mist of gas shooting out, the pump is bad, or there is a clog or a fuel line leak.

The extremely low oil level is not good. You can do a lot of damage. Best to fill it right away.

What did you get when you checked the fault codes?

You really should keep all these posts under one category, instead of starting new posts elsewhere. This dilutes the response you'll get and causes confusion.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
+2. Try this: fill the car once. Keep the tank full by topping off whatever you use in a given period (i.e. a week). That way, you never have to worry about running out of gas, and your fuel pump will thank you for it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. so do simply go to "reply to this topic" and then add something? instead of creating a whole new post i just do that! i got it, i think. hope so. i have an obd2 that costed me about 235 dollars. its an orange one and its same as Advance uses down here in SC. i assume i can hook that up to my 98 sebring conv, 2.5, v6 and get info from it? And, how smart, or dumb, would it be for me to hit the area where the fuel pump is while someone tries to start? i hear the fuel pump coming on but like Bob said, i need to push the schroeder valve and see if i get misted. I just dont know where that is yet. Car still wont start but i took out 3 spark plugs and looked down in the plug tubes and saw no spark while someone turned the key to try to start. Thats where im at, got that obd2 and saw no spark in plug tubes. the plugs had oil around the threads and one of the rubber seals came off with the plug. stuck to the bottom of the plug.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Use this procedure to get fault codes: http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes/index.html

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,675 Posts
I agree with Bob and B10alia. Don't let your fuel level get so low. Best to go no lower than a 1/4 tank. The fuel helps keep the pump cool. If you consistently run it low the pump can get hot and over time burn up and fail. I typically don't go lower than 1/2 or 3/8's on my Ram. $50 fillups are easier on the wallet than $80 fillups.

Low oil level is not good either. Based on your description, the oil level is probably close to 2 quarts low. Add one quart, check the level and if the level is still not up to the "Full" mark add the appropriate amount. At a minimum the oil level should be between the "Add" and "Full" marks on the dipstick.

The ODB2 code reader should be able to retrieve the codes. There should be a ODB2 connection somewhere under the dash. Just follow the prompts on the reader. You'll probably have to input the year/make/model - just follow the prompts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HA! You all were right. It was sooo low on gas that it needed exactly 5 1/2 gallons on top of what tiny bit was in the tank. Bob's a GENIOUS! That was the 1st thing he said. If i'd have just put 5 gals in it instead of 3 then it wouldve started and I wouldnt have worried, did all this unnecessary stuff and waste a day of time and how ever much of ya'lls time. I so much appreciate each and every one who helped. All of ya'll as we say it in the south. Ya'll. Anyway, i did learn a couple new things like how not to start a whole new post, what to do about keeping my gas tank a little more full and that my obd2 and Bob are both very smart. Thanks all of Ya'll, i'm so happy now and i wish i could buy you all a beer or a large sweet tea! Bob, you are the man!

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
No problem. When I replaced a fuel pump, I added over 2 gallons to the almost-empty tank when done, thinking it was enough. Started it up, and it died one minute later. I didn't get worried about whether I had made a mistake, instead I got another jerry gan of gas and added it, and it was fine. So it's happened to me, too.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
What I like to do is do a general checkup on my vehicle every few weeks. I check oil, coolant level and condition, transmission fluid, air filter condition, etc. I also take a look at my plugs because I have a four, and they're really easy to get at . It takes me 15 minutes every two weeks or so, and I always know that everything's in order. Any non-critical stuff (i.e. plug wires worn/distributor needs attention) I do at my 3k mile oil or oil/filter change.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I absolutely will start a schedule of maintenance and check ups exactly like the one B10alia does. Bob, the forum master, said he had a similar issue as mine so now i dont feel to to bad or dumb but i couldve avoided all this worrying and wasted time today if id have listened. He said add at least 5 or 8 gallons of gas and i only added a total of 3. After doing stuff all day to no avail i fionally got 2 MORE gallons and it fired right up! Thx again every1. If anyone can will they please explain what i need to do to tune up my 98 jxi 2.5 v6. When i removed the 3 plugs i could get to today, they looked oily and bad. The middle one came out with a black round rubber piece on the plug. I didnt put it back in cuz didnt know where to put it at. If i put it on top of plug where it was it seemed to block the plug wire. Anyway, gas mileage is not good lately and i really wanna tune her up and anything else that would help prevent probs. It runs great now and no codes on obd2 but oil around threads, gunk on plug wires.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I'm not familiar with this engine, but I'm guessing that the rubber piece was part of the spark plug wire boot. If it is, then there's a chance that that wire will arc to the cylinder head and misfire. So I'd install new plug wires and rotor, distributor cap, and plugs, and air filter for the tuneup.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Was the oil on the outside of the plug or on the tip? If you have through-head spark plug tubes on this motor, it could be that the seals are gone, or you could be looking at a leaking valve cover gasket. I had oil on the outside of my plugs on my 2.5 (4 cylinder Chrysler motor, not the V6 Mitsu) because my valve cover gasket was leaking and was seeping down into the spark plug wells. If the oil is on the tips (firing ends) of the plugs, you could be looking at a range of issues, from a failed PCV system to leaking valve stem seals to oil blowing by the piston rings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts