Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Chrysler Concorde LXI and for a while I've been having problems starting it. It was hard to start sometimes, now it's getting worse. Here is the problem, I turn the key and the dash lights come on with no problems, but all I hear is a single clicking sound coming from somewhere near the front. I have to keep trying 30 to 40 times (estimate) before it starts up and it runs great. When I get to my destination and turn the car off, I try to restart it but the same thing happens. The engine isn't turning over or anything, just the single clicking sound. Then it fires up after so many tries. The battery is a 2 year old Autozone "Duralast Gold" and I cleaned the battery terminals (even though I didn't think this was the problem). I'm getting the full 12.6 volts coming off the battery so that's not the problem. Can this be the starter relay going bad or starter itself? What is the click sound from under the hood (assuming it's under the hood) Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
21,361 Posts
I have found the underhood 'jump start' nuts loose that caused an intermittent no-crank. Check the heavy ground cables to the engine/transaxle for tightness as well.
The starter relay will emit a soft click, almost inaudible from the drivers seat. The starter solenoid will make a louder click and still not always engage the starter.
You could locate the source of the click with a helper turning the key. If a test light on the starter solenoid terminal lights while you are getting the click, I would suspect a failed starter motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen a video on youtube describing the same symptoms which points to the starter solenoid. It's very difficult to get to in the concorde because the engine might need to be jacked up in order to get to the starter. Might need to bring it to the shop for this one. I checked the cables and battery and they're fine. All nuts are tight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts