Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sons 99 Dakota 5spd 5.2 4x4, started making a rattling noise intermitantly at idle in neutral, it is not always there, kinda comes and goes at first it seemed more when it was warm but seems to be most anytime off and on now, the fluid is up and clean, it had a change with the proper synthetic fluid about a year and a half ago just as part of routine maintence, it seems to rattle through the gears ok and no grinds, he dose drive it a bit hard at times but not punishing, he has had it about 3 years or so and found out after purchace that it had been towed behind a motorhome for about 100kms that arnt on the odometer otherwise the truck has 240km of driving on it, would this towing have any affect on an idler gear? we were told it would not?, any ideas, it seems so be getting worse however the temp up here has been in the 30's high 20's for about 40 days maybe a heat factor to?

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
I had a little rattle like that once. In my case, it came through the stickshift and it actually popped out of gear a couple times. I don't think the final result of mine was because of the vibration, but, at the shifter itself is a bunch of ball bearing detents and springs. Weak springs or worn ball bearing/detents, are most likely the result of the vibration, This is not to say something inside isn't wearing or a spring isn't weak or going bad inside the gearbox, but this is something that doesn't require the transmission be pulled down (just the access floor cover and then the gearshift itself off the top of the trans, can be done in the truck, and I believe there is a replacement kit for the balls, springs and detents.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well now that you say that I remember the shifter having a leak from the top a long time ago after he purchased thr truck and we tightened things up from the top but in this case the noise we here is kinda dull, when I put my stethascope on the trans the noise is heard best just at the trans case but I wasnt able to get the scope right near the top, maybe I will remove the top cover? this noise almost sounds like a rod bearing noise if it were engine related but it is definatley comming from the trans?

·
Premium Member
20,079 Posts
Mine eventually turned out to be a worn seal at the front of the transmission case for a shaft. I had just changed the valve covers which were leaking and I smelled a little bit of burning oil. Only thing that wears these transmissions out is low oil according to the rebuilder. I lost all gears but fourth, so had to slip the clutch to get her rolling to the repair shop to have it rebuilt, and had I known the seal was going bad, probably could have saved the transmission. Anyway, the vibration from the stickshift detent balls being worn, which they replaced those parts from the rebuild kit (I guess), never vibrated again, after the rebuild.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, kinda sounds like yours could be felt through the stick though, we have nothing like that, this sounds more like something loose in the trans like a gear or idler on a shaft? I dont know how they look inside I have had my a833,s apart but would never consider going anywhere further than the top cover with this not to mention it looks heavy with the t-case on it, I may just pull the top cover just to be sure then wait for it to worsen then let the shop down the road use there hoist and trans jack to put a auto wrecker trans in, not worth pulling a back muscle here, lol, thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts