Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this truck with a cheap aftermarket stereo installed and direct wiring ran from the deck to the to the speakers. I put in a factory deck and reconnected the factory wiring to the speakers but it kept blowing fuses. Finally I narrowed the issue to the Infinity amp. I had an amp from a Durango and put it in.

The question is: should I eventually get a Dakota amp for better sound? They are different part numbers, I assume the factory wouldn't have used different amps unless something was changed. I'm a novice when it comes to audio.

·
Super Moderator
21,643 Posts
Is this a 2 door Dakota? Do your wire colors and connector (C1 and C2) pin placements match this diagram?
The difference in interior volumes between the Dakota and Durango would have meant different equalization curves for either amp. It would be nice to power what you have up and see if it sounded OK.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/drivefast1971/2011-12-11_232607_1.gif

·
Super Moderator
37,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it powers up and plays all four speakers fine (it's a 2dr extended cab), it sounds "OK" but I you hit on what I was wondering about and that would be the equalization. I think I'll keep an eye on my junkyard trips for a proper Dakota Infinity amp.

·
Super Moderator
37,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Updating this old thread.
So today while I was at the junkyard there was 1999 Dakota Club Cab with the Infinity system. I grabbed the amp to replace the Durango one currently in my Dakota. Sound is better, much better. Durango amp seemed to have more bass, the Dakota one a little more high note. Still not as nice as the Challenger :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts