Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stratus has a few problems, prndl,tach,speedo,fuel,temp gauges are not working. Checked both fuses the one under the hood was blown replaced it and still have the same problem..I had a code check and it came up with no CCd message from TCM code P1698.I disconected the battery for 15 min. but still no help.One more thing the trans isnt shifting out of first I think that might be because the speedo isnt registering.A little help would sure be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well that code suggests that communication to the transmission controller has been lost. That could be due to power being lost to that circuit.

Have you double-checked ALL fuses and relays? Another strong possibility would be a bad ground wire/strap, or power wire. There could have been a short somewhere, since you did say there was a blown fuse.

I'll check my service manual, and see if I can come up with any other ideas. In the mean time, I would break out your multimeter and start checking things.

Also, check the fuses for the Body Control Module.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Which fuse? Did it blow again after soon after replacing it? This is important to know which circuit is shorting and the components fed on that circuit.
2nd gear is the transaxle 'limp-in' gear if comm is lost. It will get you home or to a shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Here's a quick way to see if you are getting the proper power levels to the cluster:

You need to check two things. First, are any of the lights/gauges coming on briefly when you turn the ignition switch on? Second, you can initiate the "instrument cluster seld diagnostics mode" by depressing the Odometer/Trip reset button while turning the ignition key to the Off/Run/Start position. This will cycle an electronic display segment check and illumination in sequence of all CCD bus activated cluster warning indicators.

Do these, and report back.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
The cluster self-test is only testing the cluster assembly.
If the transaxle is going into limp-in, the car has more going on than the cluster. Without the comm bus, the cluster is just another symptom of the 'no bu5' or 'no CCD message from the TCM' problem. The PRND3L will all be boxed as the shifter signal is probably missing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for using the report button. I realised my mistake after sending it.The odometer check came up with no go none of the guages move when I try to start the car. The fuse was the ign. fuse under the hood and it only blew that one time.Do you think that the cluster might be bad?All the lights light up and the normal lights come on when I try to start the car. Thank you for trying Ill be waiting for more suggestions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Troubleshooting is a process of elimination. The reason I asked you to do the check, was because I had a hunch that the cluster might be the problem, and wanted to work back from there. As an experienced technician, I have learned to look for the simplest possible problems first. We don't need to go after the powertain stuff until we have eliminated the cluster issue. That being said, I'm still not sure weather your cluster is bad or not. Exactly what happened when you did the cluster test? When you say "all the lights light up", what lights are you referring to? The lights in the cluster, or others? This is important.

Right now I'm thinking you possibly have a power to cluster issue, bad cluster or body control module/computer issue. This can be caused by bad wires, or a bad unit. You are going to have to eliminate each one, one at a time. I'm seriously worried about the body control computer at this point, as it is interconnected with all the other computers. If it's bad, it can cause a variety of issues. But, like I said, we should eliminate the cluster first.

Here is the order in which you should be checking things: Make sure power is getting to the cluster. If not, find out why. If so, is the cluster behaving correctly? If not, it could be a bad cluster, bad BCM or the wiring in between. This is where things get complicated. You will have to verify that the BCM is getting power, as well as the BCM is communicating with the cluster. The only way to do this is to break out the multimeter, and dig into the dash. You have to get access to the connectors at both ends. Ohm out each wire (WITH THE CAR BATTERY DISCONNECTED!).

Looking back at my message, I am starting to think that this may be too difficult to figure out via this forum. Plus, you are at a serious disadvantage without the service manual. If I were you, I would seriously consider getting a friend with some experience in electronics to help you, and get a copy of the factory service manual. It has all the schematics and diagrams needed to properly troubleshoot this problem.

FYI, the body conrol module is connected to almost every other computer in the car. It communicates with: the airbag controller, the instrument cluster, the transmission control module, the sentry key system (if you have it), the powertrain control module, the ABS controller, the power distributuion center, the windshield wiper system, lamps, speed controller, HVAC system, keyless entry, fuel sensors, door locks, power windows and other sensors and modules. There are at least five multi-pin connectors attached to it, with about 58 individual connections going in and out of it. Bet you didn't think it was that important, did you? That's what I mean about complicated, and I havent even started talking about the other computers yet. Still feel up to it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Another note. ImperialCrown has made a good point about the Com Bus/No CCD issue. But, the reason I want to eliminate the cluster and BCM first is because the TCM data signal goes through the BCM before it hits the cluster. Also, the cluster shoould still pass the self test, even without any communications. I have seen this type of communication error reported from a module other than the BCM, only to finally trace the real problem to be the BCM, and not the originating controller. See my mentality here?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts