Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

little problem with my Voyager....radiator new, fan new, temperature sensor new.....fan does not run. Yesterday it worked great.
I don´t have any owners manual of hte car, i saved it from the junkyard.

May somebody tell me where the fan relay and fuse could be found, fan motor is OK, sensor also. No air in the cooling system, flushed, cleaned and refilled it 3 days ago.

Thank you!

Greetings
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
It probably has a fuse in the underhood fuse/relay box. Look at the underside of the lid for fuse/relay ID?
The rad fan 'relay' is a solid state device fastened to the left frame rail under the air cleaner/battery area with 2 screws.
I believe that the 2 heavier wires to the device can be jumped and if the fan then works, the relay is likely defective.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It probably has a fuse in the underhood fuse/relay box. Look at the underside of the lid for fuse/relay ID?
The rad fan 'relay' is a solid state device fastened to the left frame rail under the air cleaner/battery area with 2 screws.
I believe that the 2 heavier wires to the device can be jumped and if the fan then works, the relay is likely defective.
Thank you very much!

I´ll check it tomorrow and also jump the fan, should be OK.

Greetings

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I think a first generation mini-van has the fan relay mounted on the inside driver's side fender and this vehicle may be old enough to use fusible links. You may need to refer to a manual for the year to check this out. I believe the 3.0's in a mini first came on the scene in late 1987.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
They used fusible links until 94. You need to cut open the wiring harness, find the bad link and splice in a fuse holder. If it's a 10 gauge wire use a 30 amp fuse. I've done this on three of our early models.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK!

It should work if i just follow the wires from the fan motor to the wiring harness right?
I mean just to find the right relay etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a 93, Voyager, 3.0.
On driver's side under the hood, on the top of side fender, you will see 7 relays and 2 more are on passenger side
When I changed mine, fan relay, I was looking at the color's of wires going into a fan and into a relay.
On my car, fan relay was 3rd from dash-board, or 4 from front, on driver's side

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 93, Voyager, 3.0.
On driver's side under the hood, on the top of side fender, you will see 7 relays and 2 more are on passenger side
When I changed mine, fan relay, I was looking at the color's of wires going into a fan and into a relay.
On my car, fan relay was 3rd from dash-board, or 4 from front, on driver's side
Thank you!

I´ll check it right now, should be the relay or a fuse, jumped the fan, works fine.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked it.....hmm.....i put out the fan, disconncted the relay (yes, third one, thanks :) ) jumped the fan - OK
Cleaned out every connector and checked the wires, everything OK.
I knocked the relay a few times (carefully), now it works.

The Voyager just runs outside to warm up, hope the fan´s starts working at 90 °C....

Strange, maybe just a worn relay?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Works....interesting.....could it be a "worn" relay?

I´ll replace it, of course, but fuse links are OK, fan´s OK, coolant temperature sensor OK....relay´s working now...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I've had those relays act like that. Over the years the contacts get pitted and eventually burned. Then they become intermiittant.
One time I had an AC compressor that would not kick on. It wasn't the compressor relay, but the fan relay had become intermittant. On the vehicle I was working on (1990 LeBaron), the fan relay had to close before the compressor would kick on. I simply tapped the fan relay with a screwdriver and the AC system started working along with the fan starting up.

I'd recommend changing the fan relay to avoid problems in the future.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New relay and temperature sending unit is on it´s way (gauge wasn´t working correct)

Thanks again for helping, really appreciate it!

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts