Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I´m planning to overhaul and sandblast the complete reat axle of my Voyager.
It´s a bit rusty and all bushings are worn out.

Is there anything to know about the removal of the leaf springs?
I know that í´ve to disconnect the brake lines etc, the whole thing is pretty easy to remove, but i´m just worried about the leaf springs and the weight of the whole thing.

Maybe somebody already did this job,

Thank you!
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Leaf springs are under compression, so you can get mule-kicked or even killed by simply unbolting them, even with the vehicle raised and the weight load off. So use care.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, of course i will, i´m worried about the floor also (haha)....

How do you get them back in there?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
I have no idea, I've never serviced anything but shocks and MacPherson struts. Someone will know. I imagine they have to be mounted on one end, compressed somehow, then slide the bolt through the mount.

They have such a kick that on my brother's Duster, when the mount rotted, the spring broke loose and punctured the trunk floor.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i guess that´s the only way....i think i have to make a video on this one...either a disaster or a nice result...i´m curious about that :D

I just saw it one time on a VW Caddy (Rabbit Pickup in the US), smashed the floor like nothing, definatly not easy to do...

·
Registered
864 Posts
If a 69 Nova is indicative, then there is no problem. I switched the stock springs to heavy duty springs and the biggest problem was the rust on the bolts. With the vehicle raised, the weight of the rear assembly will pull down on the springs. I can only think that assembly time on the factory floor would dictate that an easy install is top priority.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
Remove the brake hoses, cables and proportioning valve link. As stated, do not stand in line with the spring when the bolt is cut or released. Any tension release in the spring could be dangerous.
When installing the spring, install the front spring bolt first and the rear shackle should swing enough to allow the rear bolt to be installed.
The rear axle is very heavy and cumbersome. Best to have 2 or 3 big friends assist you in removing, positioning and installing the beam axle. It is too heavy for one guy to do safely.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ImperialCrown said:
Remove the brake hoses, cables and proportioning valve link. As stated, do not stand in line with the spring when the bolt is cut or released. Any tension release in the spring could be dangerous.
When installing the spring, install the front spring bolt first and the rear shackle should swing enough to allow the rear bolt to be installed.
The rear axle is very heavy and cumbersome. Best to have 2 or 3 big friends assist you in removing, positioning and installing the beam axle. It is too heavy for one guy to do safely.
OK thank you sir!

Yeah we´re 3 guys (including myself), 3 bigger ones (haha), so it should work without damaging ourself´s or anything arround.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts