Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

where can i get a set of wood foil for my 1st gen Minivan? I got the EU version, short wheelbase incl. side turnlights.
Is there any factory which produces those side panel fake woody trims?

Greetings
Kevin

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
All the woodgrain was is an automotive grade contact paper, buy it in bulk and trim to fit. The trim around the edge would have to come from a junkyard van because you certainly would not want to buy it new because it sure would get expensive(if it is even available new any more).

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Why in the world would you want that stuff? I spent many hours peeling it off one Caravan I had and an Oldsmobile station wagon. Both looked much better without it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the woodgrain was is an automotive grade contact paper, buy it in bulk and trim to fit. The trim around the edge would have to come from a junkyard van because you certainly would not want to buy it new because it sure would get expensive(if it is even available new any more).
Thanks for the input, you´re right, would be much easier to buy a universal one....

Oh yeah the edge trim...hmm....just checked a few pics....impossible to get it in our country...or continent (haha)

Why in the world would you want that stuff? I spent many hours peeling it off one Caravan I had and an Oldsmobile station wagon. Both looked much better without it.
Cause it´s the last "classic" looking vehicle Chrysler produced. Sure..matter of taste, but i like this look very much.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
The trim is really going to be the hard part, Kevin. I just checked the local Pull-A-Part in Nashville, and they don't have any of the first gen vans at all! If they don't have one, then I'm sure a lot of other wrecking yards have probably crushed most of the ones they'd have too.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trim is really going to be the hard part, Kevin. I just checked the local Pull-A-Part in Nashville, and they don't have any of the first gen vans at all! If they don't have one, then I'm sure a lot of other wrecking yards have probably crushed most of the ones they'd have too.
Thank you very much!

Yeah, i think i´ll keep it nice and red, like it is.....i mean it´s also (almost) impossible to find a not dead 1st gen. Minivan in our country. There are 21 recognized......in the whole country....i´ve got the only one sold as a 1990 model.....

Only thing i REALLY need is a rear window (tailgate) molding. Nothing on Ebay, Rockauto, dealer etc....

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I just checked the pull a part website again. Nothing newer than a 94 Caravan, Grand Caravan, Voyager or Grand Voyager. I even looked for Town and Country vans, even though I don't think they were making them in 1990. Looks like you'll have to keep looking.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just checked the pull a part website again. Nothing newer than a 94 Caravan, Grand Caravan, Voyager or Grand Voyager. I even looked for Town and Country vans, even though I don't think they were making them in 1990. Looks like you'll have to keep looking.
Thank you very much!

I´ll have to, hope i find one

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
I even looked for Town and Country vans, even though I don't think they were making them in 1990. Looks like you'll have to keep looking.
1990 was actually the first year for T&C minivans.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Easiest and best thing to do for the lighter color trim rails is to strip them down, and paint a woodgrain finish on them.....I'm in the process of doing it to my '90 Grand Voyager...and yes, I totally agree with you, I love the woodie trim, to me, these vans don't look "finished" without the wood.....Woodgraining isn't a terribly difficult process, it's just tedious...spray a light tan base coat down, them ever so slighty wet a wide brush with a slightly darker tan or bown paint, and VERY lightly go over the rails......Like I said, it's tedious and fairly time consuming, but miles more affordable than the lighter colored decals, and FAR more durable.....the decals, even when new, never really made full contact with the contors of the molding, and condensation would build up under the decal sheet, which only further eroded the glue, and eventually dirt works its way under the surface, making for a very shabby appearence....

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Since yours is a 1990, isn't that a second generation mini? I thought 89 was the last year for the first gen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
As far as I know, '90 was the last year for the 1st gen, the subtle redesihn with the totally different dash came in '91......My profile pic is my van after I re-painted it.....

·
Registered
102 Posts
In most circles the second gen starts with '92. It probably depends on the definition of a platform and how much redesign constitutes a new generation The difference between the second/third is much less subtle than the difference between first/second.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, Mark. I suffer from CRS. Don't know if it's from the two brain surgeries or something else! LOL

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
In the mid-late '70's Chrysler used a different method for the trim. A lighter woodgrain was cut and overlaid the dark as the edge trim. Look for some pictures of the c body wagons of that era.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, 1990 was the last 1st gen year, i also found a 1991 first gen 3.3 model here in Austria, they just sold it as a 1991 unit.

Thats my March 1990 model:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts