Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first time poster to this forum.

This past winter, I agreed to help a friend prepare a 1992 Plymouth Duster for Lemons racing duty. I'm experienced with Lemons, but "green" in dealing with extended K-car platforms.

Looking for some brake advice and have a few hopefully simple questions:
  • What are the OEM front caliper and disc sizes on this 1992 Duster? If there is a larger option available, is it a simple bracket change to allow the bigger caliper and discs?
  • Can I purchase all the components required to swap the rear drums to disc from *.autopartStore.com, or am I better off buying a complete rear axle from a "Xxxx" instead?
  • Where can I find a larger master brake cylinder?
I apologize if these are basic questions. Searching for these topics yielded bits and pieces of information, but nothing overly convincing.

The car itself has the Mitsu 3.0L with the 5 speed. We are planning to run 15" wheels and EBC Yellow brake compounds (This is what ~90% of the field runs and I've had really good success with them personally). Should be a hoot to drive!

We just stripped the interior out this week, so anybody needs clean interior trim pieces... speak up fast before they get tossed in the garbage!

Additionally, looking for opinions or advice on how to limit rear axle toe-in during high corner loads. Does anyone have a solid bushing solution for the rear axle mounts? I'm thinking this could help reduce the X/Y axis axle twist and toe-in problem.

Thanks in advance,
-Andy

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Excluding 4 lug cars, the EEKs had two front rotor setups. The common size (10.25") was used with rear drums and solid rear discs. However, on the cars with vented rear discs, there was a larger front rotor (11.00"). You'll gain more from swapping to the larger front rotor than adding discs to the back. And you will need to run your 15" wheels, 14s won't clear the larger setup.

Upgrading to the larger front disc is simply a matter of swapping the caliper adapter bracket and getting the larger rotor. The caliper may not change. For example, I looked up 1992 and 1995 LeBarons in the factory parts catalog. The caliper was the same for both setups in 1995 but was different between 10.25" and 11" rotors in 1992.

For the rear, the same car that provides the caliper adapter bracket for the front can provide these. Looks like the spindle is the same disc or drum.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
The front brakes can be upgraded to larger factory era brakes. Currently you have the 10.25" setup, the following is an upgrade to the 11" setup:

First, you need new caliper brackets to support the 11" brakes. You need to order two A-1 CARDONE Part # 141210 brackets.

Next, you need to order new calipers. Your best bet is to order the 60 mm calipers found on a 1991 Dodge Daytona Turbo w/rear discs. A-1 Cardone actually has these calipers and they include the caliper bracket. Any caliper brand of your choice should suffice. The only reason that I say order for the model listed above is because they only have two options for front calipers, models with rear discs and model with rear drums. If you go to the parts store, or online shop, you are less likely to order the wrong thing or get the wrong part when you specify the model vehicle listed above.

Rotors, well again order your brand of choice for a 1991 Dodge Daytona Turbo w/ rear discs.

For the master cylinder, the bigger 24mm master cylinder can be found on the 1991 Dodge Daytona Turbo w/ rear discs. Make sure it is the 24mm one.

I'm not too keen on rear disc conversions. I know the biggest rear discs you can get are 11.25". More info can be found here:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f4/f22/103131-91-shadow-rear-disc-conversion.html
http://rbryant.freeshell.org/brake_products.htm
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:turbododge.com+rear+disc+conversion&oq=site:turbododge.com+rear+disc+conversion&fp=9f0a995b5d5f10df

Solid bushings can be found here:

http://www.polybushings.com/index.html

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
That's a REALLY rare drivetrain, most of the Sundances (Duster was just an appearance package) had the A604 or A670 with the 3.0

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
The A670 would be rarer - it wasn't offered on these cars. It was for the Spirit and Acclaim but the Sundance and Sahdow only offered thr A604 or a 5 speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, this is the information I'm looking for. Trying to find the best brakes available, but need to remember that we are swapping pads and rotors after every race weekend (sometimes after each day!)

How are the minivan brakes? Do they come with the vented 11" rotors?

EDIT: Nevermind, the 91' Turbo Daytona seems to be fitting the bill nicely for both cost and availability. :)

For the rear discs, I am going to switch the routing from the master cylinder. Instead of opposing corners, one outlet will drive the front brakes and the second outlet will drive the rear brakes which will first be fed through a proportioning valve.

I know this sounds like a lot overkill, but the track we are running in April (Gingerman) is notoriously hard on brakes. We are going to need all the help we can get!

bamman said:
The front brakes can be upgraded to larger factory era brakes. Currently you have the 10.25" setup, the following is an upgrade to the 11" setup:

First, you need new caliper brackets to support the 11" brakes. You need to order two A-1 CARDONE Part # 141210 brackets....

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Let us know how you do! I've wanted to do this race, though I'd use either a first-gen minivan or else a K-based wagon with faux wood paneling. I'd name the car, "I've got a Woody," so that the announcer can have some fun with it...

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You may also want to look into the Daytona suspension hardware, they had bigger front rollbars and some other goodies IIRC.

TWX said:
Let us know how you do! I've wanted to do this race, though I'd use either a first-gen minivan or else a K-based wagon with faux wood paneling. I'd name the car, "I've got a Woody," so that the announcer can have some fun with it...
Hahahahaha! I remember seeing those things as a kid, and I thought the "wood paneling" was the coolest thing on the face of the earth

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
Also remember, the rear discs can be upgraded to a 11.25" vented setup.
There is an even bigger master cylinder that is 1 and 1/8th inches or 28.575 mm from a 84-92 Dodge D150 truck. You will need Edelman fittings part # 258340 and 258350 for it to work with you current lines.

More reading about a similar car in the lemons race:
http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=17446

1 - 9 of 9 Posts