Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
All the options thought about are interesting, and I have to say it would definately be a good move to move to DI or MultiAir onto the 2.0, if it isn't getting a light turbocharging, based on the reviews that it has gotten with the 2.0L motor. Or maybe they will manage to get a combo going.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Dave said:
I am eagerly awaiting the Automotive News report on upcoming Chrysler product. They usually have very good sources and should be able to shed some light on this, I hope.
September 2 for the printed edition

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Finally. This is good news. RG said in the cruise interview that they asked what people wanted for HP in an SRT4 engine, and he said that the minimum was 300hp. He went on to say that they just couldn't do an SRT4 right now, because THAT engine, just isn't available. Reading between the lines... it seemed like he really wanted the SRT4 project to happen, and once the right pieces are in place, he would do it.

Updated four pots are essential in today's market. They need to be as good, in their application, as the P-Stars are in theirs. (Now we need to push for factory nitrous bottles, or a maybe they could bury secret nitrous friendly code in the proccessor).

PS: DI has been used on oil burners (diesels) for quite some time now. It is only new(ish) for gasoline engines.

PPS: I can tolerate not being the "marketing" car company, as long as Mopar is still the "engineering" car company.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,107 Posts
The old 2.0 SRT4 (2003) produced 215 HP and 254 ft lbs. So the Ducks to water 2.4 Mercedes inspired engine should be able to produce 300 HP easily. I bet the missing ingredient is a trans reliability.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
I thought the 2.4, not 2.0, SRT4 put out 235hp at the wheels (when they stuck it on a dyno just to prove Mopar was lieing about the output), estimating an easy 255hp athe the crank.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
the original concept neon SRT4 was a supercharged 2.0

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Now that we have that straight, what is the expected output for the 2.0 Hurricane? I don't think I saw anything on that part of the formula.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
dana44 said:
Now that we have that straight, what is the expected output for the 2.0 Hurricane? I don't think I saw anything on that part of the formula.
If we go by the original rumor of DSRT, it'd be 300+hp

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
also consider that the mitsubishi evo x is a 2.0 turbo and is making 291 hp and 300 ft-lbs torque. given its similar roots to the current tigershark, and hoping for a miracle in tuning, direct injection and other goodies, the theory is still there, if hopeful.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
As long as we are throwing numbers around...

The 2.0L used in the NATCC Stratus Supertouring car was making a reported 300HP (and per a volunteer in the WPC Museum that was in the know, that was a conservative estimate) - WITHOUT any forced induction. It was "all motor."

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Yes, get the compression up and good flow from the cam lift and smooth flow and yes, those are very reasonable numbers. I remember Lee Iacocca standing next to a 2.5 engine with dual Weber sidedraft carbs indicating the engine produced 300hp, old Hotrod or Car Craft magazine article, and this was an NA engine, too.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Modern engines can do 90hp/Liter EZPZ. With DI, that should go to at least 100hp/L. With Forced induction, 140hp/Liter is de rigueur.

So, out the NA 2.0L I would expect 190hp-200hp; add a turbo, or a blower, and I would expect no less than 250hp, but no more than 280hp.
For the 2.4L NA, I would expect no less than 230hp; and out of its forced induction version I would expect no less than 310hp.

200hp/Liter NA is doable, but that is a deadly serious and very expensive unit. 200hp/Liter engines with forced induction are in production, but they are not all that common. I would prefer they use a 2.4-DI-T in the DSRT4.

(BTW, it is impossible for me to talk about Mopar turbo fours, and NOT also talk about the possibility of a DSRT4.)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Dave said:
I am eagerly awaiting the Automotive News report on upcoming Chrysler product. They usually have very good sources and should be able to shed some light on this, I hope.
No need to wait... UF ;)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ah, speculation speculation! :D

The Caliber SRT4 may have been spec'ed at 285 HP but MANY Caliber SRT4 owners (ok, most if not all) that dynoed their cars found, much to their surprise and pleasure, that number to be a massive understatement. Most Calibers did at least that to the wheels. I think that's what put Ralph/SRT "Into the box" so to speak, with that "at least 300HP" number.

I'm assuming the 2.0, if it's turbo'ed, would be a more mainstream application, not SRT. Not 1.4 mainstream, but maybe "R/T" - There is no Dart R/T anymore officially, only the "GT" which was supposed to "Arrive Q2 2013" based on all those Travis Pastrana ads that stopped cold-turkey about 2-3 months ago. IF the GT is launched in the 2014 MY, that leaves room for the R/T and maybe an SRT.

Or will SRT skip the Dart, and wait for the Chrysler 200, and use the same 6-cyl engine in an SRT Cherokee instead of making an SRT Dart? The Dart will already have had what, 3 model years under its belt by that time (one of which was quite extended). SRT usually doesn't do products that close to end-of-life or refresh. I'd imagine the Dart will be under the knife by that point.

And if you think an SRT Cherokee sounds silly... the SRT Grand Cherokee and Kermit-R Juke-R both disagree with you.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
UF comes from a most reliable source...

The same source informed us of the Hurricane, back in..... January.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I'm not surprised in that case, Norm. I expected it to be a mainstream engine, not a "300 HP +" SRT engine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts