Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is known that the "Neon" OHC engines were built at both Trenton Engine and Saltillo Engine with any 2.4L built at Saltillo, and any 1.8 built at Trenton. When it comes to the 2.0L, is there any rhyme or reason as to which engines were produced where? And is there any way to otherwise tell from the car or engine itself other than an original window sticker?

You have the following 4 variations:
A588 SOHC
Magnum SOHC ECH
DOHC ECC
420A (basically an ECC with the head turned 180 and shipped to Normal, Illinois to be fit in an Eclipse/Talon/Avenger/ Sebring)

While vehicles with these engines have been produced in both Mexico [Toluca Car Assembly (Neon/non U.S. PT Cruiser)] and the United States [Belvidere Assembly (Neon), Sterling Heights Assembly (Breeze/Stratus), and Diamond Star Motors/MMMA (Eclipse/Talon/Avenger/ Sebring)], the decisions behind this don't seem to have anything to do with proximity, as I have seen vehicles produced at both Belvidere Assembly and Diamond Star Motors with engines from Toluca. Anyone with any insight?

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,250 Posts
A question for superduckie.
I believe the Diamond Star motors were all DOHCs and they'd be run at whatever plant ran the original DOHCs, probably.
The 1.8 was probably done in Trenton due to greater size or the right equipment for even just being closer to Auburn Hills, handy when you're starting a new engine line. Or maybe greater expertise - I believe Trenton had better engineering/technical expertise than Saltillo at the time, with regard to the robotics. Volume was too small to bother introducing them to Saltillo.

Most of those decisions seem to revolve around supply at the moment, what kind of equipment is where, which people are where, and such. One year they engineered a new RB engine variation because of technical issues at the plant...

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,505 Posts
Good reads:

Reactions: Dave Z

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,409 Posts
HI: The Single O/H Cam 2.0L & 1.8L's were Made at Trenton.
The Dual Cam Engines were made in Mexico.
The Fun Part at Making both the 2.0L & 1.8L Blocks on the Same Block Machining Line
It was when Some would load a 1.8L Block on to a Machine (Usually the Final Bore or the Cylinder Hone) it Would Muck Up the Tooling and Some Times the Machine for 2 Shifts !
For Some Reason It Seemed to Happen on 2nd Shift After Lunch. ( You can Speculate Why It Would Happen at that Time of Day ! )
I had Maintenance on Midnights for the All 2.0L & 3.5L Engine Lines for Almost 10 Years.
And have Fond Memories of Going into Work and Hearing "They Wrecked the Hone Again ! "

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They said you would have the answer, and of course you do, superduckie. Thanks to all three of you for the response. Yes the articles are right on point, although I had already read them trying to get my answer before posting as a last result.

That brings me to my next question:
I have found that the engine short block for a '95-'99 420a (DSM:Eclipse/Talon/Avenger/Sebring coupe) is part # 04864262. The short block for an ECC DOHC in a Neon, non-U.S. bound PT Cruiser (or a "lucky" Stratus/Breeze) is part # 04864262 as well. The part # for an ECB SOHC '96-'99 in a Neon/Stratus/Breeze is 04864260, being different. But I have heard that the ECB SOHC block can be used as a replacement for the ECC/420A block, just as long as the top end remains the same (because the direction of the intake/exhaust for the head is entirely dependent on the application). I'm thinking that the difference in the two blocks requiring the separate part numbers is entirely in the number (and maybe because of the different plants they were milled in, Trenton vs. Saltillo). Just looking to see if anyone can confirm that the SOHC block can be used to replace the DOHC block with everything else being retained. Thanks for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.