Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I have an 86 and 87 Caravan that are too nice to junk. They both have the horrible 2.6 engine. I first invetigated changing them over to the 2.5, but I'd have to change out the tank and more wiring that I want to deal with. Best solution: Since both of these engines are carburated, best to replace with a 2.2 carbed engine, like from a Caravan. Next best solution: Using a 2.2 from a Horizon or Omni and the wiring harness from a Caravan that had a 2.2 carbed engine.

Has anyone out there done this?? Am I on the right track. Thoughts, suggestions appreciated before I get into this project.

slim slow slider

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
The 2.5L EFI and 3.0L V6 EFI were actually a running change that came in 1987 1/2.
Early-build 1987's still had the 2.6L w/carb.
All passenger cars except Omni/Horizon were EFI by then. The trucks came last to get rid of carburetors. Maybe because truck emissions were less stringent.
You will need the A-413 transaxles, motor mounts, factory service manual and probably a donor minivan for all the little bits and pieces that you will find to be different. The cat may also be different.
It sounds like a lot of work, but not impossible with the time and parts to put into it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, Imperial. What's even more work is trying to convert a carbed engine to an EFI. That's just too much work.....for what?
Kinda figured my original assumptions were correct. I appreciate the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts