Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dodge oval track race car it has a msd6al box on it the engine is a 2.2 non turbo can i use my stock distributor with the msd box? if i ca how do i wire it? THANKS for any help

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Following the installation instructions, the Vt and Gn (twisted pair) trigger wires are used for a magnetic pickup distributor or crank trigger. The Hall-effect pickup in the Chrysler 4-cylinder distributor is not a magnetic trigger and may not work with the MSD. You can try it, but I don't think that it will work.
The instructions mention an MSD distributor or crank trigger. There is a hole in the transaxle bell-housing for a magnetic timing test probe used for a Chrysler special tool. A single Wt wire is used by the MSD for points-type distributors.
They also show a separate timing control module. Without this you may not have spark advance. You may want to contact www.msdignition.com for guidance on what you are trying to make work. I only see V8 distributor applications listed on their website.
Was it hooked up by the previous owner or just came with the car?
Instructions:
http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedFiles/MSDIgnitioncom/Products/Ignitions/6420_instructions.pdf

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i bought the car already wired with msd it had no engine i contacted msd tech. support they said i could but dont hook up the black wire but their is two black wires and one black with a white stripe THANK YOU so much for your reply.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
The instructions show a thick black wire (ground) and a thinner black wire (coil -).
The instructions don't mention a Bk/Wt stripe wire (could that be the points-to-ground wire?) or is it part of the Chrysler harness to the coil (-) or the 3-wire Chrysler distributor pickup?
There is a Bk/Gy off of the Timing Control Module.
See link in post #2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts