Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a source for a new water pump housing for an '87 Horizon 2.2L, or the p/n for it so I can search for one? Is the pump housing for a Horizon the same as one for an Aries/Reliant? Thanks.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
I didn't find a new source. Dealer came up not available and if it was it would have been over 200 dollars. :blink:

There are a few different styles. All depends on the water outlets for the heater hose and the lower hose size from what I've seen. As far as heater hose outlets, some have none, some have one straight out, some have 1 out at an angle. Some have a bottom hose that has a step down to a smaller size, some are larger with no step down.

I got one wrong one when I was looking for a replacement for my 86 station wagon. If you have a picture of yours I can see if it's the same as the spare one I have. It was supposed to be from an Omni so it may be right.

Basically you just have to make sure the one you get matches the one you have. If my spare one is wrong, you can try Turbododge.com

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has what looks like a brass step down nipple pressed into the inlet. How much do you want for your spare?

·
Stready as Tulip goes will win.
5,114 Posts
The step down nipple is made of steel, and best to remove it. This nipple corroded and cracked my housing. I have to take it to machine shop and have nipple removed and crack welded. The housing is really diecast aluminum.

Cheers, Wizard

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I'd think that any of the older 2.2's, no matter what EEK it came off of would work, especially if you find a carbed vehicle. We had an 87 Horizon in our family at one time. I had to pull the water pump housing off and it was a PITA because of the fuel pump bar guard. That guard never went back on and is still in my junk pile. :D
It's a tight working area IIRC.

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
They are definitely not all the same. Luckily it sounds like the spare one I have is correct for him. You have to match up what you have with what you get. As I said above, there are different size outlets for the lower hose and at least 3 different heater hose outlet options (None, straight out and out at an angle)

In addition, there were 2 different style waterpump/pulley setups. Have to make sure you have the right pulley/pump as well.

I'm getting way too good at these waterpump/housing things lately by way of practice... :facepalm: Had to find a housing to replace the cracked one on my 86 wagon, then the pump went bad on my 86 Convertible.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Found 2 - from 81 Aries, and 85 Lancer. - Car-part.com - not sure if they work for your application tho...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I need help, I am replacing the engine on my 1983 2.2L Dodge Rampage, I have a new/rebuilt engine & everything else but, I have run into a snag I need a water pump housing that is being hard to find, Dodge made a million of these engines, they put them in Dodge Omni, Horizon, Aries, Reliant, LeBaron, 400, New Yorker, E Class, 600, Rampage, & Scamp.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
Welcome to Allpar.

This is very likely a junkyard item only. Also, the 1983 will likely be a little different from, say, late 80s to early 90s. Note that the water pump up to 1988 turns in the opposite direction from 1989 on. So make sure you get the right vintage of water pump, or it will turn backwards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info, I have checked all of the salvages around my home & they all say the same thing NO. I find it hard to believe that I can get a new/rebuilt engine but no water pump housing, I am almost down to the point of taking my old housing to a CNC machine shop & have a new one made out of billet aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
What's wrong with the old one?

·
Fleet Owner
1,172 Posts
car-part.com may be your best bet, you could also try turbododge.com

·
Registered
555 Posts
4343847 is the correct # 4343848 is cast on the part

I have 2 of these used and perfect

The L and S body /2.2 that year use different ones. The S body with a 2.5 used the 4343847 also

1 - 20 of 22 Posts