Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can the 2.4 engine from 3rd generation (95-00) voyager/caravan be installed in 2nd gen. (91-95) which has 2.5 engine without much trouble?
Is the 5-spd manual transmission the same on both engines?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
I don't recall the 2.4L engine in the '96 and later minivans being available with a manual transmission.

Define "too much trouble." With enough time, money, and effort, anything is possible. ;)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Electronics is often the issue here and that is usually the cause of a lot of trouble when switching engine types.
Any transplant of one engine type to another is pretty tough on todays modern cars.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
Engine mounts will be different.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
There were no manual transmission 2.4 minivans. But the 2.4 would bolt to a 2.0 manual transmission if it doesn't to the 2.5.
It would not be an easy swap, Possible but no way near easy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In europe, 2.4 engines with manual trannys are available. Actually there's more of them here with manual than with auto tr.

By saying "without much trouble" I was thinking if I could just take the 2.5 out and put 2.4 in, without messing with engine mounts and possibly using the 2.5 gearbox - electronics therefore being the worst part of the job. Guess I was too optimistic.

Thanks for your replies :)

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Weren't there manual transmissions in the PT Cruiser, mated to the 2.4?

I've seen a few videos of 2.4s installed in K cars and Omnis, but there was fairly extensive fabrication work done to make that happen.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Yes, I think the PT Cruiser was the only 2.4 manual in the US. There were rumors that a 2.4 Status was offered but that seems not to be the case.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Well, there was the Neon SRT4, but if I remember right, that wasn't a conventional Chrysler transmission...

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
In the US, the 95-00 Stratus had a 5-speed available with the 2.0L engine - the top-of-the-line Stratus ES with the 2.0/5-speed is a rare bird indeed.

The 01-06 Stratus sedan offered a 5-speed only for a short time on the 2.7L V6 R/T model - similarly the Chrysler Sebring GTC could be had with the same powertrain.

In the US, the PT Cruiser was indeed offered with a 2.4L/5-speed. And then there was the Neon SRT-4.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
valiant67 said:
There were no manual transmission 2.4 minivans. But the 2.4 would bolt to a 2.0 manual transmission if it doesn't to the 2.5.
It would not be an easy swap, Possible but no way near easy.
Anything is certainly possible. Just depends on how much money you want to spend..........This is one of those that probably is not cost effective and can be more trouble than it's worth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts