Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 300 miles short of second 1500 mile dealer oil level factory recall check on 2017 Renegade 2.4. Oil level is at bottom of safe zone after overnight sit in garage. Dealer told me this AM to continue driving till I reach 33,154 miles and return. Do not add oil. Engine will qualify for new engine from Stellantis.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,347 Posts
I agree. It's OK to check the oil, but don't tamper with it otherwise until the dealer rechecks the level at the completion of the oil consumption test.

Reactions: Ernesto

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I drove my 2015 200 2.4 for 26,000 miles and it never burned a spec of oil. I've added oil to the Renegade 2.4 from the beginning.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm confused. I did the oil consumption test for slightly over 1500 miles. I returned to the dealer and found the oil level about 1/4 down in the safe zone. Service writer told me to continue test for another 1500 miles. I am now at about 1200 miles into second test and I'm at the add mark. So I've actually burned about a quart of oil in 2700 miles. The recall seems to be telling me the test period is for 1500 miles only. The service tech today told me be prepared for a new engine when my second 1500 mile check reaches 33,154 miles.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
As long as they're going to replace the engine at no cost to you, why are you worried? Just do what the service people are telling you and sleep easy. If you have it in writing, that is. If not, then tread lightly and have a good attorneys phone number in your pocket.

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
So, the typical FCA "fix" of software flashes was insufficient to correct the mechanical problem created by using cheap parts. Now they are replacing engines.

I hope all the customers with 2.4 engines that stopped due to low oil pressure sleep well because FCA was making great margins from their trust in the brands.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
My 2018 Compass uses no oil. Over 25,000 trouble free miles.
:cool:

·
Super Moderator
38,541 Posts
My 2018 Compass uses no oil. Over 25,000 trouble free miles.
:cool:
Some do, some don’t. The ones I had used none. The one my friend has used enough oil to stop the engine in under 2000 miles.

·
KOG
7,170 Posts
I remember the VW Rabbit/Golf when they were claiming that 400 miles per quart was "normal". Chevy later did the same with Vegas. I did a quick calculation and realized that those things were burning more oil than a 2 stroke getting the same gas mileage. But nothing was ever said about emissions when that was going on. Sort of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

On a slightly unrelated note my 73 Valiant 225 would routinely run over 9000 miles per quart when it was new (under 100K). Sounds like they haven't gotten a great deal better in the last 50 years---.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I remember the VW Rabbit/Golf when they were claiming that 400 miles per quart was "normal". Chevy later did the same with Vegas. I did a quick calculation and realized that those things were burning more oil than a 2 stroke getting the same gas mileage. But nothing was ever said about emissions when that was going on. Sort of makes you wonder, doesn't it?

On a slightly unrelated note my 73 Valiant 225 would routinely run over 9000 miles per quart when it was new (under 100K). Sounds like they haven't gotten a great deal better in the last 50 years---.
Amazing isn’t it? All the technology and we can’t get rings right? Comical. Of course, they can get them right if they invest the time and money. The hemis and 3.6 are proof of that . I have owned several and never ever added a drop. This debacle with the 2.4 was a known problem by a group of engineers somewhere before the first one ever hit the road. And they were told to zip it up and ship by the bean counters.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Let’s see your proof.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,347 Posts
" This debacle with the 2.4 was a known problem by a group of engineers somewhere before the first one ever hit the road. And they were told to zip it up and ship by the bean counters."
I doubt that there is any conspiracy or cover-up involved. We have been using the WGE since 2006. It got MultiAir in 2011.
It is a sound and proven design.
If the decel software was mapped with the recall software from the beginning, this oil consumption concern would probably not exist.

A certain percentage of any engine might have oil consumption concerns. I have replaced short blocks under warranty because of glazed cylinder walls after a 10K mile break-in period. It probably just needed a hone to break the glaze and re-clock the ring gaps as nothing was worn.

Wrong motor oil and wrong PCV valves can cause elevated oil consumption. Synthetic oil has been blamed as being 'too slippery' and not allowing the rings to break-in and seal. The outside of the engine must be bone-dry (no leaks).

Oil meeting Chrysler MS-6395 of the correct viscosity must be used. If you or the dealer don't change your oil, you may not get the right stuff. If they use 'bulk oil', make sure it conforms to what is specified for your car. Advantage claims from Amsoil and other distributors are 99% marketing hype IMHO.
Use an OEM PCV valve.
I'm comfortable with some oil use. A lot of it depends on the type of driving I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I doubt that there is any conspiracy or cover-up involved. We have been using the WGE since 2006. It got MultiAir in 2011.
It is a sound and proven design.
If the decel software was mapped with the recall software from the beginning, this oil consumption concern would probably not exist.

A certain percentage of any engine might have oil consumption concerns. I have replaced short blocks under warranty because of glazed cylinder walls after a 10K mile break-in period. It probably just needed a hone to break the glaze and re-clock the ring gaps as nothing was worn.

Wrong motor oil and wrong PCV valves can cause elevated oil consumption. Synthetic oil has been blamed as being 'too slippery' and not allowing the rings to break-in and seal. The outside of the engine must be bone-dry (no leaks).

Oil meeting Chrysler MS-6395 of the correct viscosity must be used. If you or the dealer don't change your oil, you may not get the right stuff. If they use 'bulk oil', make sure it conforms to what is specified for your car. Advantage claims from Amsoil and other distributors are 99% marketing hype IMHO.
Use an OEM PCV valve.
I'm comfortable with some oil use. A lot of it depends on the type of driving I do.
I change my own oil. Use Mobil One. I maintain six thousand mile change intervals to be on the conservative side . I too am comfortable with some usage between oil changes depending on driving. I am not comfortable with adding three quarts every six thousand miles on three seperate vehicles utilizing the same engine. Call it what you will, this was a known problem from the get go and thus, here we are installing long blocks under recall .

·
KOG
7,170 Posts
Glazed cylinder walls. I recall hearing of this in the 1960s and 1970s pribably due to owners treating the engine too gently during breakin. One "cure" I heard of being used was to sprinkle Bon Ami down the carb to break teh glaze. That may have gotten the engine out of warranty before the now worn rings and cylinder walls just gave up.

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Just like the 9-speed problems were first attempted to be fixed with software flashes.....many of them....in the end, it was a cheap parts in the transmission issue.

Just like the JL steering problems were first attempted to be fixed with software flashes......in the end, the steering boxes needed to be replaced.

NHTSA announces up to $105 million in civil penalties for FCA (freep.com)

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles will pay up to $105 million in fines and penalties to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, submit to oversight and buy back nearly half-a-million of the vehicles it has recalled, penalties issued Sunday for the auto company’s lax attitude toward addressing safety issues in millions of its vehicles.

@DC-93 .....there is your PROOF.

FCA has a history of slow-walking fixes and has been fined for it as well.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Where's the proof of the engineers being told to shut up and ship it? You have an email to them from a manager or other higher up? THAT, my friend, would be proof of the statement by Bws. As it is now, that's his OPINION.
Or maybe just a guess...

·
Registered
14,815 Posts
Where's the proof of the engineers being told to shut up and ship it? You have an email to them from a manager or other higher up? THAT, my friend, would be proof of the statement by Bws. As it is now, that's his OPINION.
Or maybe just a guess...
You are not going to find a memo that Marchionne was behind the bribery of the UAW either.....

If the engineers were not aware of the problem, then it is even more damning because it means the company really did not test products before giving the green light for production.

Reactions: Bws and DC-93

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
You know, we are talking about the engineering team in Italy, not the US...
"We" were stuck using what we were given, good or bad.

Lol, just like the Sopranos, in person verbal commands are the way to go, unless someone has a wire!
:sneaky:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts