Allpar Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Where's the proof of the engineers being told to shut up and ship it? You have an email to them from a manager or other higher up? THAT, my friend, would be proof of the statement by Bws. As it is now, that's his OPINION.
Or maybe just a guess...
Oh it’s a guess , wouldn’t represent it as anything otherwise. It let’s face it , we’re not talking about a problem that presented itself over a short period of time and then was fixed. This went on for YEARS. Hundred of thousands of vehicles shipped across several brands with known serious reliability issues in a basic power train component. Does anyone think this wasn’t an issue being kicked around internally at FCA for years? Someone, somewhere, won out for a long time and made the decision to “kick the cam on down the road “. And then unsuspecting consumers like myself bought the product. If the company knew about it, or if they were clueless, either way it’s a shambles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh it’s a guess , wouldn’t represent it as anything otherwise. It let’s face it , we’re not talking about a problem that presented itself over a short period of time and then was fixed. This went on for YEARS. Hundred of thousands of vehicles shipped across several brands with known serious reliability issues in a basic power train component. Does anyone think this wasn’t an issue being kicked around internally at FCA for years? Someone, somewhere, won out for a long time and made the decision to “kick the cam on down the road “. And then unsuspecting consumers like myself bought the product. If the company knew about it, or if they were clueless, either way it’s a shambles.
And by the way, if they weren’t told to shut up and ship it, why did t they fix the darn problem instead of continuing to ship?

·
Super Moderator
38,573 Posts
I suspect the oil burning was “fixed” for only one reason. And that was the EPA was looking into the emissions aspect. That was probably a far greater motivation than appeasing customers or it would have been addressed earlier.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
How do you say “WTF?” in Italian??

Reactions: Bws

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Today finds about 1/2 mm below safe zone with 254 miles to get to 1500. I'm soldiering on per dealer directive. Odometer read 32,900. 33,154 is final check point.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
No action from car maker. I'm at second 1500 plus miles. Oil level is about 2 mm into safe zone after 5 minutes after engine shut down at dealer. My just out of safe zone checks were done after setting overnight. Oil level drop seemed to stop after getting very low in safe zone. I put 1/2 qt. of Pennz 0W-20 as oil change is not due till around December. I happened to have 1/2 qt. on hand.

The engine is using almost a quart in 3000 miles. My 2015 200 never burned a spec of oil.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,380 Posts
One quart every 3000 miles is well within the allowed consumption limits.
You have a healthy engine. Only when they don't burn any oil at all is cause to worry.
Avoid comparisons between cars.

Reactions: Ernesto

·
Registered
14,836 Posts
I suspect the oil burning was “fixed” for only one reason. And that was the EPA was looking into the emissions aspect. That was probably a far greater motivation than appeasing customers or it would have been addressed earlier.
FCA May Recall 1 Million Jeeps, Other Models with 2.4-Liter Engine (caranddriver.com)

The 2.4-liter Tigershark engine may have excess tailpipe emissions, an issue the automaker is sorting out with the EPA and CARB now.

In a filing with the SEC about the issue, FCA said it "will likely initiate a recall campaign. At this stage we are unable to reliably evaluate the likelihood that material costs will be incurred or estimate a range of possible costs."

·
Super Moderator
22,380 Posts
It isn't only FCA. Many other automakers face class-action lemon lawsuits, FTC and EPA actions:

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
KOG
7,177 Posts
Catalytic converter takes care of oil out the exhaust in normal use.

Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
An oil change service writer told me the Renegade has the Tiger Shark version of the 2.4. My 2015 200 has a different version of the 2.4. She told me this after I told her no oil burn with the 200.

·
Super Moderator
22,380 Posts
Catalytic converter takes care of oil out the exhaust in normal use.
A good, operating cat at temperature will oxidize most oil smoke down into ash. We don't see the billowing blue smoke and soot out the tailpipe like we did in the past.

Reactions: Ernesto and chuzz
21 - 32 of 32 Posts