Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turns over one time and stalls. Ran fine last time it was driven, a day ago. Changed batteries, same starting issue. Is this a crank sensor issue? Truck has 450k miles on it. It is a five speed. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,671 Posts
Does it have spark while cranking? Try a spritz of carb solvent (or equivalent) into the throttle body, does it fire-up briefly?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check to see if your truck has an Ignition Ballast Resistor. Its is a ceramic piece with two or four wires connected to it. usually on the firewall. Costs about $10. When these go out, the engine will crank and start briefly and then die. I always carried a spare.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Check to see if your truck has an Ignition Ballast Resistor. Its is a ceramic piece with two or four wires connected to it. usually on the firewall. Costs about $10. When these go out, the engine will crank and start briefly and then die. I always carried a spare.
Those were long gone by 1998.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not a key skim issue? Not trying with a non-oem key? Also not applicable if not equipped. It was quite the learning curve to figure out the skim system in a 02 Jeep WJ when it failed. I thought it was fuel pump, battery, etc.

·
Super Moderator
23,671 Posts
A SKIM key problem should light the security dot on the cluster (#25):
White Mode of transport Font Line Gauge

·
Super Moderator
33,377 Posts
Always check fault codes first:

Reactions: chuzz

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Not a key skim issue? Not trying with a non-oem key? Also not applicable if not equipped. It was quite the learning curve to figure out the skim system in a 02 Jeep WJ when it failed. I thought it was fuel pump, battery, etc.
1998 is too old for a SKIM key. But it could have an anti-theft system.

·
Super Moderator
40,009 Posts
Reactions: ImperialCrown

·
Super Moderator
23,671 Posts
An engine needs 3 things to run. Spark, fuel & mechanical (compression/timing).
It may be important to use OEM parts. A sensor specified for your application shouldn't have the wrong terminals(!)
Crank sensor does spark. Cam sensor (distributor) times fuel injector sync to #1 TDC.
Are the spark plugs wet with fuel or black with carbon? Any fault codes?

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
While I have the utmost respect for Walt, I THINK he meant 4 components. Air, you gotta have air, man! LOL Just busting your chops a little bit, Walt.

·
Super Moderator
23,671 Posts
You make a valid point, chuzz. I've always assumed air as a 'given'. I suppose that it doesn't have to be the case.

·
Registered
9,263 Posts
Not if you have rodents like mice and chipmunks around. For some reason, they like to build nests in air filter housings. I've looked at a lot of old cars that have been sitting for years and found a LOT of acorns and hickory nuts inside the breathers, along with leaves and grass.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts