Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to either have to rebuild the 2.5 ohc engine in my 95 dakota or replace it. Is there any advantage to going to the amc based 2.5 motor and can it it be done without too much hassle? I prefer to keep it a 4 cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
The motor mounts are probably different, and perhaps the transmission might not bolt up. Someone here will know.

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
Not an easy swap at all unless you have a complete 1996 parts truck for the swap. Electronics are totally different as are things like the mounts and the transmission are different too. And even if you got a complete truck for parts you'd have a big hassle as the 1995 and earlier "Chrysler" 2.5 was OBDI while the 1996 "AMC" 2.5 is OBDII.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I tend to agree, the Dodge 2.5 has proven itself to be pretty tough. Granted the AMC engine is a good engine, having to get a full donor truck to replace the engine and possibly bellhousing and motor mounts (they bolt to the engine crossmember, bolt patterns for 2.5/V6 and V8 have fixed nuts in the frame), I don't see the true advantage to the amount of work required.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I would say that's a lot of work to go in the wrong direction.. The Dodge 2.5L has always seemed like a much better motor TO ME.. Rebuilding the motor you have would be MUCH less expensive that downgrading to the AMC 2.5L.. IF you want more power.. there are a lot of things you can do to the factory motor.. Including Turbo or Supercharger. A lot of parts for the FWD turbo cars will fit the Dakota.. Look close, it's even got the FWD motor mount under the hood.
Or, it's less work to even switch to a V6.. That can be done as a bolt in swap in a few days, with decent facilities.. and still less money than the newer 4 cyl.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
I did the 4 to 6 swap, and it wasn't too difficult. Engine and trans, exhaust system, fuel system, V6 motor mounts (bolt holes are there), electronics and a few heat shields.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I were to go to the V6, I assume the 5 speed transmission would bolt up? Would I need to upgrade the fuel supply system or go to a pre-magnum model?

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
The bellhousing bolt pattern is different, but the same transmission is used, so just make sure you have the V6 bellhousing and use your transmission, that works.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree Dana.. My truck started out at a 2.5L.. Swapping to a V6 took us a few afternoons in my father in laws garage. Now..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts