Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would id be worth while replacing an exhaust valve on No 5 cylinder Runs fine over 1000 rpm. 206,xxx km

·
Super Moderator
21,371 Posts
There is not enough information here for a yes or no answer. Removing the head on a transverse 2.7L is labor intensive. I have no idea of what your tool inventory, shop equipment or skill set is, unless you will be having a shop do this. It isn't really a driveway/hand tool type job and I don't think that any shop would just replace the valves in one cylinder without wanting to look at the bigger picture.
It is a 4-valve per cylinder engine, so there are 2 exhaust valves to service. More may come to light when the head is removed and the estimate could change. Valves on the 2.7L usually don't burn and I would like to know why this happened (root cause) before just replacing the valves in the one cylinder. There are some risks here.
At this mileage, you might want to consider a preemptive water pump and timing chain if they have never been done. Heavy sludge build-up might also add to the repair direction on this engine, as might the general condition of the rest of the car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ImperialCrown said:
There is not enough information here for a yes or no answer. Removing the head on a transverse 2.7L is labor intensive. I have no idea of what your tool inventory, shop equipment or skill set is, unless you will be having a shop do this. It isn't really a driveway/hand tool type job and I don't think that any shop would just replace the valves in one cylinder without wanting to look at the bigger picture.
It is a 4-valve per cylinder engine, so there are 2 exhaust valves to service. More may come to light when the head is removed and the estimate could change. Valves on the 2.7L usually don't burn and I would like to know why this happened (root cause) before just replacing the valves in the one cylinder. There are some risks here.
At this mileage, you might want to consider a preemptive water pump and timing chain if they have never been done. Heavy sludge build-up might also add to the repair direction on this engine, as might the general condition of the rest of the car.
Sea Foam cleaned it up. Runs like a dream now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts