Allpar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this is a non-mopar question (sacrilege, I know), but I know you guys will have the answer. I need to get a '92 S-10 running that's been sitting for 2 years. Regarding the fuel in the tank, can I add something to it to make it at least useable or do I really have to drop the tank and clean it out?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
You can try some drygas - how much fuel is in there? Does it start and idle?

·
Registered
681 Posts
I once started a triumph motorcycle with 6 yo gas and a boat with mostly 2 yo gas, however they were both carbureted.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob Lincoln said:
You can try some drygas - how much fuel is in there? Does it start and idle?
Not sure how much is in the tank since the battery is dead. Going up on Sunday to replace the battery, change the motor oil/filter and fuel filter and give it a try. Someone tried to start it 8 mos ago - it would turn over but not fire. It's fuel injjected.

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Old stale fuel does decompose and may possibly harm a pump. The lighter elements in the fuel blend may evaporate off and be stored in the charcoal canister. It is a variable depending on original fuel quality and vehicle storage conditions. Depending on how much fuel is in the tank now you may want to add some fresh premium gas to mix with and offset the old gas.
There are aftermarket additives and conditioners like Sta-bil, but they probably won't help already decomposed fuel and have to be added before storage. There is more information if you Google: gasoliine storage.
Or you may be perfectly OK and the fuel will burn like new and not harm anything. You will want to run the old fuel out and add fresh fuel if this vehicle will now be driven daily.
The old Studebaker is rarely driven. I keep the fuel level low and add a fresh couple of gallons in Spring for the first start.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ImperialCrown said:
Old stale fuel does decompose and may possibly harm a pump.
One of the things I plan to do is see if I can hear the pump before I try turning the motor. Adding some premium gas sounds good. If there's a lot already in the tank then I'll get some octane boost as well.

Can I combine drygas with octane boost?

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would add a can of Seafoam to any new fuel. This will clean your lines and injectors very well, and not harm any components.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
It might stink, but a little good gas on top of the old stuff will still run until it is cleaned out. I usually end up doing this, in the past I have used as old as five and six year old gas in the lawnmower and weedwacker.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I think it needs a new fuel pump. I can hear the pump run for a couple of seconds when I turn the key on, the engine cranks, but it won't start. It has throttle body injection, so I was able to pour some fuel into the body and get it to run, but only till that fuel is used up. I went to change the fuel filter which is mounted on the frame rail just downstream of the fuel tank and it was completely dry! There is no fuel getting to the filter. I can't think of any other reason besides a bad fuel pump. Unless the sound I'm hearing is something else and the pump is not running at all. I didn't think to check the fuses before coming back home.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Blow some compressed air through the line to the tank first, and make sure there is fuel in the tank. As long as you heard the pump, which is designed to shut off after a couple seconds, that part should be OK, but a plugged line may be an issue. You can also disconnect the line to the tank, should have access to it, verify air is passing through that part before the compressed air through the pump and into the tank.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dana44 said:
Blow some compressed air through the line to the tank first, and make sure there is fuel in the tank. As long as you heard the pump, which is designed to shut off after a couple seconds, that part should be OK, but a plugged line may be an issue. You can also disconnect the line to the tank, should have access to it, verify air is passing through that part before the compressed air through the pump and into the tank.
I know there's gas in the tank since the gage read 3/4 plus I added 2-3 gallons of premium and a can of Sea Foam. I'll try putting some air back through the line into the tank. I really don't want to have to drain and drop the tank.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I've confirmed that the fuel pump IS working and that fuel is getting through the new fuel filter. Still doesn't run, and after cranking it the fuel injector in the throttle body is bone dry. I'm guessing the fuel injector is clogged, but I didn't have the right size star drive w/ me to pull the injjector so I'll have to do that next Sunday.

What are some ways to clean a clogged fuel injector?

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
You probably have pressure at the injector and I just can't imagine an injector or filter being 'fully' clogged. Even after a few moments a few drips would occur. If it is fully clogged, then your upstream fuel system is in big trouble. Possibly a fuel pressure regulator is stuck closed? The system may have lost prime from sitting and the replacement of the filter, but should charge with pressurized fuel after a moment.
I would more suspect that the injector isn't opening electrically. There should be 12 volts on one side and a PWM (pulse width modulated) ground on the other, depending on the fuel demand determined by the PCM.
One side should light a test light and the other should blink while cranking over.
A loss of cranking signal to the PCM will keep the injector closed after an initial 'key-on' spritz.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
There is a fine mesh screen in most injectors. That may be coated over with gum (i.e. dried gas). Carb cleaner sprayed around the injector body might break that up.

It is good to know that it runs with raw fuel poured in. That would suggest the ignition and timing signals are good.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Many engines have a braided ground strap from engine to firewall. If broken or missing, it can break the ground to the fuel injectors and cause non-firing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts